Geneforge 3 available for Macintosh

Quote:
Originally written by Seletine:
Spiderweb's web site doesn't yet acknowledge the Geneforge 3 release.
That's very strange. They usually shout it from the rooftops as soon as it's been placed on their download server. I only hope that their lack of announcement doesn't mean that this isn't the actual demo and is really some "test" file that contains a huge text document saying "Testing, testing, 1-2-3. Testing, testing, 1-2-3" sixty-four million times.

The compressed demo is 17.5 MB — so it looks like my original estimate of 18.4 MB was only off by a MB or so. cool

Without getting too sentimental, I would like to express my feelings of gratitude towards the Spiderwebsoftware team.

Thank you !! I am looking very much forward to playing Geneforge 3 tomorrow (I'm from the Netherlands and it's 23:28 on my clock and since I have to get up at 6:30 for school tomorrow I guess I'll be heading to bed.)

Thanks again, Sir Jeff and Lady Mariann ! smile

Geneforge used to be my favorite out of the spiderweb games. Jeff's lost the concept. He thinks that making more of a hit game will be good. I don't concur.While some of you may like that idea, I'm finding Jeff's games getting boring.

Let's see, in over 10 years how many different game types have there been?

-Nethergate

-Exile/Avernum (same plot)

-Geneforge

One word : BORING

Quote:
Originally written by -:
Geneforge used to be my favorite out of the spiderweb games. Jeff's lost the concept. He thinks that making more of a hit game will be good. I don't concur.While some of you may like that idea, I'm finding Jeff's games getting boring.

-Nethergate
-Geneforge

do us all a favor and kill yourself

oh i have already started working on the editor my problem is i already finished it but i cant find a way to give more than 69 essence you can make all the creations but don't have enough essence to make the drakon rotograth (did i spell that right?) or the eyebeast i my main problem is the way i made it work in my
GF2 editor
was to continually add exp but when i do that and load my save game the program quits does anyone know what to do ??

i forgot to do my victory dance

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

IT IS FINALY OUT YAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally written by -:

-Nethergate
-Geneforge

Do you have Blades of Exile or Blades of Avernum? If not, you should definitely take a look at them -- the design community's done some very interesting things with each of them.

Okay, while I admit I like some of the stuff that he's done for GF3 (connected areas within a location, for instance), I have to admit that I groaned when the phrase "monster plague" was first uttered in the game.

I like it and I'm probably going to get it eventually, but I'm not sure that I'm going to spend the money right away.

Opinions from others so far?

I haven't gotten very far into the game yet. I've torn myself away to post here and keep up with the community and my poor dog had to go to the vet.

My first impression is good. I like the improved graphics. I'm not thrilled about the PC choices. The same three with no new color options. I really liked the ideal of the Shaper in black, but either way is fine. The NPCs move very smoothly and nicely adding to the realism of the game. I like the story so far and am getting used to the way the game is now setup.

The Extra PCs you see in the screen shots are indeed tagalongs. I chose to leave them behind. I'm playing as an Agent with no creations at the moment. Over all it looks very nice smile

Oh I'm sooooo happy!!!! I've been checking all month. I've been playing G2 again in anticipation. I checked the site after work and ....... yes!!!!

I've been playing around a bit, relishing and savoring and enjoying. So far, no complaints. I like female agents. Alone.

Thank you, Jeff and thank you everybody else who was involved. Gonna be buying this one real, real soon! (tonight?)

Bek

sig-less

I'm going to download it tonight. (Man, and I just registered GF2 today to play again. Gosh!)

HK: "---" has the right to an opinion, methinks, and it's one shared by many. ---, I think Thuryl's recommendation is very wise, give the Blades a try (which you choose I think depends upon your preferences for graphics, in a way, but BoE is huge and BoA is erupting like a drunk maniac who's drunk an entire box of cheap bear. There are scenarios coming out of the wazoo. Yay.)

"Monster plagues" knowing nothing about it, it seems it keeps up with the hack and slash part of prior GF games. Meh. As long as he hasn't sacrificed from the cool story points the othe GF games had, cool.

Oh, and Icshi: Yah, man. You were very close in your stimate on its size. Yipee.

I've been playing Geneforge 3 (already sent in my registration payment!) during the few vacant spaces today, and really like the new interface. Having the text block gone is nice, though I wish the floating text on the screen would stick around longer, even on the "slow" setting. The new graphics, and a greater diversity of them, is marvellous. But the shining triumph is the inventory system — this is exactly what I've been wanting since playing Nethergate back in '01. All in a single window you can fiddle with stuff in your pack — arranging the items in whatever order you wish — equip yourself, set your "quick" items (like quick speel slots, but with items), and get things off the ground as well as putting things down. The only thing missing is text showing how heavy an item on the ground is when you put your cursor over it — you have to do the command-click thing to get that info. But still it's great, and a joy to work with.

Haven't gotten into the story much so far. But then, the first sixth of these games is usually pretty basic, gaining levels quickly and buliding up an idea of what's going on around you.

After experimenting with "pick-up" characters in GF2, and being continually frustrated with their blundering stupidity, I've sworn never to let an NPC join. I too am playing as a lone Agent — I usually play through a Geneforge game first time as a Shaper, but found that I play a lot better as an Agent.

At this point I'd like nothing more than to barricade myself in my room and not come out until I've played all the way through, but sadly, I'm going to be whisked away from my computer for four days starting on Thursday while I'm out of town. Will have to grit my teeth and yet again suffer through a "long" wait... But for the moment the onset of GF3 pre-withdrawl madness has ebbed away.

It's been years since I've used a Mac, I've got one quick, and painfully obvious question:

How do I manage to check the life of the creatures I'm fighting?

I've done about 6 areas.

Some spoilers.

It seems we shouldn't sell those crystals that quickly. I wonder which to keep, though? According to a book we'll be able to create items, but which crystal should we keep? (I'm thinking not the flawed ones, but. . .)

So far not much story. Litalia is really furious and is causing havok, but not much else.

Well. . . this time we've got Days! I wonder if this is something that changes according to how many regions you visit, though?

I loved the double map for the School region, and wonder if that will repeat for others? (the fort, perhaps?)

Like the new graphics too! I like the animation for the Mind! (those cute little limbs moving. . . aaaah! What a cutesy!)

I also enjoy that you can sell almost anything, and that, apparently, shopkeepers have unlimited money (at least the one in South End seems to have, unless I missed some obvious number on the screen)

Oh, the mines have changed slightly too. I like the change. Although I enjoyed deactivating one by one, this new method sure saves time.

I guess the demo will cover the first two islands?

Have you guys noticed any secret or easter egg yet? I've seen none.

(anybody with tons of leadership: can you convince the Battle creation to fight with you in the Training Grounds? Can you get the Mind to give more information about the special Test, although it is self evident, I guess (tough mamma, I mean, daddy, I mean thingy.))

What are those green tubes/columns in the school? The ones with the swirling liquid inside? Any ideas?

The Master of the school (Hoge?) was very interested in how one responds to his dilemma. I wonder on which side he's on.

Well . . . it seems we've got two sects right off the bat: Litalia and the. . . Awakened, I guess. We could count three if we assume being loyal to the Shapers.

We can finally wear necklaces and pants!!!

Also, I like the armor as percentage.

Well. Going to enter the Mines tomorrow.

Good luck guys!!!

I also want to barricade myself in my room. Darn work and darn morning classes.

Cheers!

(this looks like a big game, kind of like what E3 was to Exile. . .(?))

Quote:
Someone or other said:
After experimenting with "pick-up" characters in GF2, and being continually frustrated with their blundering stupidity, I've sworn never to let an NPC join.
You get to control Alwan and Greta, so you don't need to worry about blundering stupidity. They're actually rather useful.

I like it overall...

I don't like how you pick things up though. Kind of a hassle to do all of that mouse moving and clicking ( i don't use the keys, to far apart)

There are still some spelling/grammar mistakes but that's OK

The grapghics are deteriorating! They are moving claser and closer to cartoon stuff!

I like the value of stuff.

Like I said overall ... nice.

OK I Can't hold it in any longer! :

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^ i really am not a fan of the new item getting/equipping window. I thought the old way was much more efficient. plus I find myself losing important items when i unequip them, because i seem to instinctively want to put them to the right side of the screen, like in the old one, which in this game is "the ground". bah!

Quote:
Originally written by Tbg10101:
I don't like how you pick things up though. Kind of a hassle to do all of that mouse moving and clicking ( i don't use the keys, to far apart)
I'm not sure what your problem is - the computer generally has two input devices the mouse and keyboard. If you don't use the keyboard you will have to use the mouse. Inherent in using the mouse as an input device is clicking and draging. For many things it is not the most efficient input device - try typing a letter just using the mouse and some kind of character selection matrix. Frankly, I find it trivial to hit 'a' or 'b' or whatever when I want to pick up something from the ground. My left hand is on the keyboard anyway, 'a' is right on the home row, 'b' is a whole centimetre away from my pointer finger. I must be missing something...

I have been very comfortable with the new inventory. I tend to use the keyboard and just type the letter. I don't see why the ground would be mistaken for your pack, at a quick glace it is easy to see you don't have sticks, rocks, and skulls in your pack. I like being able to arrange things and carry so much more. The old way didn't seem to have a very good way of organizing the inventory. I always had to scroll through the menu looking for what I wanted. Now it's all right there in front of me.

Quote:
Originally written by Khoth:
Quote:
Someone or other said:
After experimenting with "pick-up" characters in GF2, and being continually frustrated with their blundering stupidity, I've sworn never to let an NPC join.
You get to control Alwan and Greta, so you don't need to worry about blundering stupidity. They're actually rather useful.
That was me...

So, you get to control them, eh? I may try that out.

In GF2 I got really mad at my companions when I raided the Radiant College and sabotaged their whatsit. Hostile energy was being excuded at an alarming rate, and everybody in the place wanted to kill us, so what should we do? Run for our lives? Or stick real close to the source of the radiation, flinging puny acid bolts at every Drayk and Ur-Glaahk that comes close? :rolleyes: Fine, you stay there and do that, then. Excuse me while I run for my life. I lost about half my party because those fools would rather die a pointless death than skeedadle and continue living. I guess maybe they had chronic depression problems and that seemed the only way out.

I don't think too much of GF3's story so far. Still, I'm still well within the "demo" section (even though I'm now registered!) and those are seldom very stellar storywise. I shall reserve judgement.

Since this is a busy week for me, I will not be able to submerge myself 24/7 in G3 like some of the young whippersnappers on this forum. So to avoid spoilers I will be disappearing from here until I finish the game at my own slow pace.

I believe I have avoided spoilers in what follows.

I'm starting with a loner Agent on Torment, and I believe I'm approaching the end of the demo area (though those nice folks at Spiderweb got me registered almost immediately). I'll be at level 16 in a couple of ticks.

So far I'm very pleased. I'm trying not to burn my bridges with any faction, to keep my options open as long as possible. This is proving surprisingly difficult, which is quite cool. In G2 you could string everyone along pretty easily, but now I feel much more like I'm sitting on a powderkeg. Some of the 'no turning back' options that I have avoided so far are things I will definitely want to try out another time. Also the new engine seems to allow quite a few wrinkles we didn't see in G1 or G2, and this is nice. Finally the AI seems to be able to play smarter, but the fact that (minor) Daze now affects everyone in sight keeps saving me from certain doom.