which is better? Geneforge 1 or Geneforge 2?

GF2 cleaned up some of the engine and gameplay problems in GF1, and the quests were more fun and developed, but the plot was infinitely worse. I was extremely curious about the mystery of Trajkov during the entire course of GF1, although I admit meeting him was something of an anti-climax.

I guess I liked GF2 better.

Well in GF1 Agents only got limited spells and Shapers can only make up to the third level creations(dryaks, glaaks, and battle alphas), and the Guardians got an advantage.

But since GF2 came out, everything is quite good, but the game is unbalance, I mean Agents suddenly got a huge advantage and shapers got to make creations that the Shaper council can't make and Guardians got a little bit of improvment. So my point is, I think GF2 is better than GF1 because there is more balance with the characters you pick.

• 3 months later...
Quote:
Originally written by Me, Myself & I:
Well in GF1 Agents only got limited spells and Shapers can only make up to the third level creations(dryaks, glaaks, and battle alphas), and the Guardians got an advantage.
But since GF2 came out, everything is quite good, but the game is unbalance, I mean Agents suddenly got a huge advantage and shapers got to make creations that the Shaper council can't make and Guardians got a little bit of improvment. So my point is, I think GF2 is better than GF1 because there is more balance with the characters you pick.
I agree, the game has to be balanced. I'm used to playing solo in everything, and the agent seemed to be the ideal chocie, but when you have 3 attack spells, and the shapers can summon almost everything, you feel left out all the time
frown

I liked both at about the same level. G1 seemed to have more of a. . . solid plot, I suppose. You were stranded, there was something weird with the Island, and Trajkov was around causing problems. The three sects represent three basic principles of followership (shaped word smile ). I have no clue what the plot for G2 was, I don't remember it. I remember wandering around doing quests and joining and betraying alliances, but that's about it. It feels like G2 came years before G1, at least for me. G2 felt a little like E3/A3, wandering around doing stuff. But, I enjoyed doing that stuff and wandering around.

I'm going to go on a leap faith and quite a limb here and say that my favorite is G3 :p

My opinion, agents have an infinitly larger advantage in G2 than they did in G1, but consequently, it takes away from my personal favorite in G1, the guardian, as for the shapers, they remain, more or less the same in the ratio.

I did all of the Demo(G1) as my guardian, he could cast spells as well as any Agent, and I had an army of creatures so big you couldnt stop it with anything (except an equally large army of those acid spitting worms.) And i had no clue as to what was going on in the history of the game.

G2, that was just ridiculous, I knew that The awakened could still exist, but the Super Serviles( forgot the name of their faction) being wrong, i mean, that is not logical!!

I dont think that the usage of the spreading out of the difficult areas was good. The most difficult areas where the ones that more or less mimicked those from G1 that where EASY, the ruined school level, for instance.

I personally will send a ton of angry emails to those who created Geneforge 3 if it is as poorly done as G2.

I prefer G1

I played G2 before G1. In G2 canisters were fairly rare and a treasure once found. Going on a canister spree in G1 was fun after that. I liked using the Geneforge, but the power is a little wasted on insanity. G1's story was better, but G2 had better spells, creations, more areas and features. Overall I guess G1, it made you more of “The Shaper.”

I don't know how to answer the question because I really like them both, in different ways, and the differences seem quite appropriate. GF1 is a tightly plotted story, confined to a mysterious island. GF2 is about the rampant proliferation and escalation that is inevitable after the bell that can't be unrung has been rung. As such, to me it is simply right that it has more spells and creations, and more factions, but a more sprawling and multidirectional 'plot'.

I find Guardians a bit more fun to play in GF2 than in GF1, actually, because high Parry can make them unhittable, and I seem to be able to do quite enough damage with second swings from Quick Action, without Anatomy. I am still a bit unhappy that they don't seem different enough in playing strategy from Agents.

Quote:
Originally written by Mr.knowitall:
I like GF1 because I can use the geneforge.
Amen to that, brother! I was rather irked in GF2 when I discovered the new Geneforge was racially segregated and was "For Drakons Only." That made me doubly inclined to join Barzahl and blast the living heck out of the whole filthy reptile den of iniquity.

Anyway, I have trouble separating the two games in my mind — they've become rather enmeshed together. For instance, I often think about a certain area in GF2 thinking it was in 1, and vice versa. I have to actually look at the maps in the hint books sometimes to figure out which area goes with which game. In other words, I really like both. I think their similarities was a strength in many ways, showing variations on a theme. As I've mentioned elsewhere the corruption of power is a topic that never grows old with me; I find it endlessly fascinating. I did enjoy how the stakes got bigger in GF2, and hopefully we'll see things get even more so in GF3.

• 1 month later...

Agreed, GF2 got boring because you get so strong on the journey and everything at the end that is meant to be a tough, long, exciting duel (Easss, Barzahl) turns out to be seriously anticlimactic.

GF1, on the other hand, keeps the strategy and difficulty up the whole time. I had cleared out every area and used the Geneforge, yet Danette and Trajkov were still significantly hard and interesting. This is all lost in GF2.