Scripting Category?

*i

In my tendency to miss the obvious, I forgot about having a contest for scripts. We could add this to the contest as another category to encourage good script designs, albeit this is a bit late and we may hold off on this until after the main contest. Please discuss.

I think you could have a scripting category added. After all, the winner isn't announced November 30th... is it? And scripts are a lot easier to submit, because they don't need a plot, fancy graphics, or a half-way decent villain. They also are a wee bit easier to test.

If you do decide to add it, I'll send in some of my scripts. Mainly because I don't think my scenario will be ready in time for the contest. frown

Hmm… Salmon has a point. Thinking about it, it probably would be better to have a separate contest altogether, and divide that up by, say, kind of script (whether it's a terrain script, character script, whatever).

As far as usefulness, that could vary. Every script anyone would make would (probably) have its uses. Perhaps for originality. Complexity or simplicity shouldn't matter, so long as the script works.

That is a problem that will need to be worked out. My guess is with some sort of rubric based on originality, usefulness, robustness, etc.

The general sentiment is to hold off until a later date, perhaps after the contest. I think that is what we should do.

Nioca: It'd be a lot harder to implement than a simple arena battle. Sure, that would work if the only scripts entered were like your elitenpc. But something like my bullrush script (that is, if I can get it working) would be useless in an arena; the script's meant to stop the party from reaching something/someone. The judges would have to make a separate arena for every single script entered.

--------------------

IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:

Employees will have conjugal visit trailers which they may use provided they call in a replacement and sign out on the timesheet. Given this, anyone caught making out in a closet while leaving their station unmonitored will be shot.

Quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:
Employees will have conjugal visit trailers which they may use provided they call in a replacement and sign out on the timesheet. Given this, anyone caught making out in a closet while leaving their station unmonitored will be shot.
Just to clarify a point here.

Is the shooting offense for,
a) not being monitored while making out in the closet?
B) not being monitored while leaving an unmanned post?
c) abandoning a post for which they are responsible?
d) mistaking the closet for a conjugal visit trailer? or,
e) failure to show proper discipline in the face of those primordial urges?

Thank you for your prompt consideration in this matter.

Salmon:

Quote:
... anyone caught making out in a closet while leaving their station unmonitored will be shot.
The key point is that they let their station become unmonitored, which is a considerable security issue. In fact, I encourage employees to make out in the closet, provided they find a replacement for their station beforehand, since this helps uncover any heroes who happen to be hiding in said closets.

--------------------

I will not, under any circumstances, marry a woman I know to be a faithless, conniving, back-stabbing witch simply because I am absolutely desperate to perpetuate my family line. Of course, we can still date.

Quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:
It'd be a lot harder to implement than a simple arena battle.
I suggested that as one of the ways to test creature scripts. It would be a poor indicator if that's all a creature script was tested on.

The biggest question would be how you would compare terrain scripts to creature scripts.