How do you make scripts?

Bomber

I tried the cookbook but all it show's is a thing saying the minimum stuff you should have there.

The thing i want to know is how you put in extra's.

Thank's for the advice.

Later I might just look at other people's senario's just as you suggested.

More advice is welcome.

Just curious: what exactly do you find hard to understand? Is is getting used to things like variables, conditional statements, and the like (the programming aspect)? Is it understanding the way states are created and used (the finite state machine aspect)? Or is it that you are overwhelmed by the number of calls you can make?

Thuryl's right: the best way to pick up any programming language is to learn by example. The Cookbook's good: it doesn't teach you everything about the language, but it gives examples for the most common things you do. A list of nearly all the calls you can make, and an explanation for what they do, can be found in the Script Reference (I'd recommend going here , right clicking the link for it near the bottom of the page (or whatever the Mac equivilent is), and saving it to your computer). Also, links for many other resources, including scripts, can be found here .

--------------------

Just Another AvernumScript Hacker.

You can make a passable scenario just following the basics in the cookbook (which does a very good job explaining basic calls, use it.) If you have something more complex in mind I would say to wait until you've done a basic scenario.

I had tried this approach several months ago, and after making a truly awful, almost unplayable scenario, I pretty much gave up on ever understanding scripting. I came back recently and it all made sense, and am pretty pleased with how things are going. Just the experience gained from a basic scenario is invaluable, even if the result is a steaming pile of crap.

• 1 month later...

Maybe someone should make some freeware that can make new scripts and edit them, like uhm... the way you write scripts!!! :rolleyes: because I have Problems writing Scripts Cause there are so many things to have to learn scripts, Right now I am reading the Cookbook. But hmm... I really want to make my own items with special passive effects on the player and use my own cool icons, Say..., Such as number ___ or those Unused Icons! I am just thinking of a number for the icon... or how bout some of those text boxes or Dialogue. Well, I've heard of the NSIS Creator to pack up Software that was made, so It could be installable. Hmm... I must be trailing off topic... :p:peek:rolleyes:coolsmile

I agree with Dintiradan: tell us what exactly you find so hard to understand.

Thuryl is right too: Look at other people's scripts.

My two cents: Make a town by following the quickstart guide in the editor docs (not the appendix!). It will teach you the most basic stuff. After that, continue by making, say, your own message_dialog calls, and see if it works. then you might make an "if-statment" of it. Kelandon has an extremely handy tutorial to make them. I recommend it.