A free great text/script editor for BoA!

Well, it's not for Boa but can be used for it. It's a program that can substitute notepad, but that comes with many, many other options. Two of them, my favourite, are:

- Colour coding (check this screenshot of a BoA script: PN-BoA.jpg )

- It can group text files in groups. So I can have a group/folder in notepad for each scenario/town/outdoors/whatever you want scripts. So I just have to open the program, open the folder and there are all scripts for my scenario. No need to browse for each file. smile

You can get the program here: Programmers Notepad - the free, open source, text editor with special features for coders .

Let me know what you think. smile

Cool, I'm switching over to this from EditPad. Great little proggie. If the devs ever document custom scheme creation (like they say they're planning on doing at the site), I might even make a scheme for Avernumscript. I went ahead and downloaded the SDK and compiler in anticipation of this. laugh

The C scheme is handy enough for now, though. Syntax highlighting rocks.

Good find!

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
I believe that Kel was pointing out that you invited opinions, and that UA (Shining Lightbulb) gave you his, and that you went snarky at him for it.
I know. That's why I said I was just joking. smile

About the other comment, it wasn't suited for what was asked. A comment like: that program has no use, I don't like it, I prefer the one I'm using, etc would be better, than just commenting the way I exposed the product, no it itself.

Quote:
Originally written by Shining Lightbulb:
Unlike some people, I don't need to have my code highlighted all pretty colours in order to be able to understand it. :p
I think no one needs the colouring to understand. It just makes easier and more organised. It's a matter of preference too. Not a matter of ability. smile

He wasn't talking about your post, he was actually describing the program itself as "bloated". It's a fairly common term among programmers to refer to a program with more features than anyone will ever want, and it's a fair bit more constructive than "that program has no use".

Quote:
Unlike some people, I don't need to have my code highlighted all pretty colours in order to be able to understand it.
Don't tell me... You're one of those diehard purists who refuses to play Nethack with the colors enabled. wink

Crimson Editor has color coding as well, and it can be easily customized... you just need to make an spc and key file for the language. IT comes with 20 or so languages, so there are plenty of examples to look at, but I can't really decipher how they work. Otherwise I'd make one for Avernumscript.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
He wasn't talking about your post, he was actually describing the program itself as "bloated". It's a fairly common term among programmers to refer to a program with more features than anyone will ever want, and it's a fair bit more constructive than "that program has no use".
Then my apologies. Anyway, we were talking about its use with Avernumscript, the features I told about: color coding, project folder. smile

Quote:
Originally written by Blank83:
Crimson Editor has color coding as well, and it can be easily customized... you just need to make an spc and key file for the language. IT comes with 20 or so languages, so there are plenty of examples to look at, but I can't really decipher how they work. Otherwise I'd make one for Avernumscript.
I didn't know that editor. Looks interesting, in the same line as Programmer Notepad. Cool. smile

Quote:
Originally written by 20eyes:
Quote:
Unlike some people, I don't need to have my code highlighted all pretty colours in order to be able to understand it.
Don't tell me... You're one of those diehard purists who refuses to play Nethack with the colors enabled. wink
Stop jumping to conclusions. There's a time for pretty colours but coding is not it! (And I don't play NetHack.)

It's a shame we have to deal with obnoxious, pompous a***s on these forums who love to make themselves sound so superior to the rest of us peons who don't know as much as they do and are just trying to be helpful.

Overwhelming...

Color coding is typically used in many coding based text editors and makes code easier to read and debug. Of course, we all know that the best programmers wouldn't need to rely on such a crutch.

Eh. I don't find this too useful. Colouring is helpful and the project feature could be useful I guess, but it doesn't do anything else I want it to. In particular, if you select a block of text, and press tab, it doesn't indent - it replaces the text with a tab character. Logical, perhaps, but I find it much more intuitive to press tab to indent a selected block than Ctrl-I or whatever weird shortcut key.

Oh, and if word wrap is on, it won't jump to lines correctly. Blech. Nor will auto-indent work correctly.

I'll stick with Textpad , thanks; it has shareware nag screens, but it's almost perfect for my uses. Find is mapped to weird keys, but other than that it's much nicer. It has colouring, too. Takes a small bit of fiddling to get it working, though; you have to make a new document class; Configure -> New Document Class, call it AvernumScript, use C colouring, and enable the class for *.txt files; then you have to go and delete *.txt from the Text document class to make it happy. Oh, and PC only, sorry Mac users.

Crimson Editor is much better. Trust me. I downloaded this one - and I didn't really like it. But then someone named... ***GREMLINCHIEF***(Won't put their real forum-name down) showed me the URL for Crimson editor. Check this out!

Crimson.jpg

Now that's a lot more helpful - especially since it's got a line counter. You should try THAT!

Crimson Editor Download Page laughlaughlaugh

Quote:
Originally written by Crunchy Frog:
Eh. I don't find this too useful. Colouring is helpful and the project feature could be useful I guess, but it doesn't do anything else I want it to. In particular, if you select a block of text, and press tab, it doesn't indent - it replaces the text with a tab character. Logical, perhaps, but I find it much more intuitive to press tab to indent a selected block than Ctrl-I or whatever weird shortcut key.

Oh, and if word wrap is on, it won't jump to lines correctly. Blech. Nor will auto-indent work correctly.

I'll stick with Textpad , thanks; it has shareware nag screens, but it's almost perfect for my uses. Find is mapped to weird keys, but other than that it's much nicer. It has colouring, too. Takes a small bit of fiddling to get it working, though; you have to make a new document class; Configure -> New Document Class, call it AvernumScript, use C colouring, and enable the class for *.txt files; then you have to go and delete *.txt from the Text document class to make it happy. Oh, and PC only, sorry Mac users.
Aham... There's an "ident" icon there (one to ident forward and another to ident back) :rolleyes: (look the icons to the right of the binocular, they're greyed out because there's no selected text)

Quote:
Originally written by Archmage Micael:
Crimson Editor is much better. Trust me. I downloaded this one - and I didn't really like it. But then someone named... ***GREMLINCHIEF***(Won't put their real forum-name down) showed me the URL for Crimson editor. Check this out!

Now that's a lot more helpful - especially since it's got a line counter. You should try THAT!

Crimson Editor Download Page laughlaughlaugh
It's a nice editor. Someone already told about it in this topi, and it's in Spiderweb's links. But I think PN is a little bit more user-friendly (at least for newbies like me laugh )

And it has a line counter too...

Anyway, both are very similar. And tell me if the color coding and the project folder feature don't help alot. wink

Metapad has a line counter, and is essentially Notepad with some small enhancements.

Andrea, I know what syntax colouring is for. Notice that my post was not "why on earth would you want your code coloured?", it was "I don't need my code highlighted pretty colours to be able to code."

Anyway, I'm somewhat masochistic (have you seen me code CSS?) when it comes to code. I'm not intending to flame here, I just find coding easy enough without having to have my code highlighted.

Quote:
Originally written by Archmage Micael:
Crimson Editor is much better. Trust me. I downloaded this one - and I didn't really like it. But then someone named... ***GREMLINCHIEF***(Won't put their real forum-name down) showed me the URL for Crimson editor.
Mostly everybody knows that I have/had an identity of GremlinChief. I don't see the real reason to hide my forum name especially since I was the one who brought that link to Spiderweb in the first place.

Differences between the two programs:
Programmer's Notepad
Download size: 1,682,264 bytes
Built in color-code syntax type schemes: 12
It can also switch to be a hex-editor...?
But I found no way to switch from Carriage Returns to Line Feeds or vice versa. That could mean trouble when debugging code for BoA.

Crimson Editor
Download size: 1,159,660 bytes
Built in color-code syntax type schemes: 17
Has a built in FTP program
Can switch from CR to LF to both.

Mostly all other features are the same, Crimson having some more advanced tools for programming.

EDIT: For some reason, PN has a built in clock...why would one need a clock if there's one on the taskbar?

Quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:
Aham... There's an "ident" icon there (one to ident forward and another to ident back) :rolleyes: (look the icons to the right of the binocular, they're greyed out because there's no selected text)
I know, I saw that. But quite frankly, they suck. :p I'm using tabs to indent, but those buttons assume that I'm using two spaces. Terrible, just terrible... and in any case, my point stands, I shouldn't have to move my hand all the way over to the mouse just to indent a few lines of code. laugh

Quote:
But I found no way to switch from Carriage Returns to Line Feeds or vice versa. That could mean trouble when debugging code for BoA.
Forgot to mention that. I haven't bothered to upgrade to the version where the line number counting is fixed, and it insists on saving all my files with CRLF line endings. Silly thing. smile

Edit: Forgot to mention, there is one thing I like about PN; if you select something, it shows you how many characters you have selected. Useful for seeing how long your strings are getting. But apart from that I hate it. :p

Crimson Editor doesn't sound too bad. I used ConTEXT briefly in a Java programming class, and it was okay for that. No idea what it's like for AvernumScript, but whatever floats your boat.

By the way... I'm currently writing a dedicated AvernumScript editor in Python. Fully cross-platform and with all the AvernumScript-specific features you could want! ... except it's not done yet, but it will be! :p

Quote:
Originally written by Crunchy Frog:
Quote:
I am GremlinChief but I am not Overwhelming, nor do I want to be. :p

And the link for ConText gets me a busy page, I think. I'll try back later.

Edit: Actually, the domain in itself has changed. It's now http://www.context.cx/