thrown missile special abilities?

I've made a custom thrown missile that's supposed to be, in effect, a molotov cocktail (that is, small damage from thrown missile impact, big damage from fire). But the special ability for doing extra fire damage only applies to melee weapons or ammunition (NOT thrown missiles).

Anyone have any brilliant ideas for some way to "fake" this? I'm coming up blank on this one. The best idea I've had so far is to make my thrown missile be, instead, ammunition for some sort of launcher. But I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it (that's getting a bit too 'hi-tech' for the tone of my scenario).

EDIT: Ammunition for a launcher wouldn't really work, either. My launcher would either have to be specified a "bow" or a "crossbow". Meaning my missiles would be ammunition for any old bow or crossbow (which would be totaly nonsensical, given my missiles are shaped totally wrong). Not to mention my custom launcher would also fire either arrows or bolts. Humbug! frown

EDIT 2: Anyone see the logic of not allowing thrown missiles to do extra damage like melee weapons and ammunition in the first place? They're essentially just ammunition delivered by hand. Any chance we could talk you into changing this, Jeff? I'd like to be able to come up with new and interesting variants of thrown missiles in just about any scenario I design...