Script ProofReader

Lazarus.

Can someone give me a link to where i can download a program to proofread script? I'm assuming it exists because Jeff must have one, and I think I've seen a post referring to one. I've poked around in some links, but only found sample scripts. Any suggestions on the best one (for windows) and how to use it would be appreciated.

The script-checking utility you've likely been reading about is Alint, which is only available for Mac OS X. (Unfortunately, Khoth's site seems to be down at the moment, so you can't even get that.)

Why do you say that Jeff must have one? I'm sure he's capable of proofreading and testing his own scripts. And since you'll eventually need to test your scenario the old-fashioned way anyway, Alint can only do so much.

Yeah I saw Alint, and the sight was down (I think I found the link at your site actually). Did you say it was only for Mac, because in that case it doesn't help me much.

Anyway I just figured that if you spent hours writing code, and then have to look over it line by line for a mistype, you would eventually write something to do it for you. Its his job after all. I don't really know what im talking about.

Quote:
Originally written by StryveCOR:
Did you say it was only for Mac, because in that case it doesn't help me much.
Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
And UA did a Windows port of the command-line version of Alint
You'd have to work with DOS, I think, but it does work on Windows. Well, as far as I know. Someone... uh... possibly Micael might be able to tell you more.

Hi,

I have a zip file "alint091.zip" which is 56.0 KB in size.

The zip contains 5 files: alint.exe, install.sh, uninstall.sh,and two "Rich Text Format" files: readme and commandline.

If you would like a copy of the zip file from me, just

email me at: "gcmaxon at verizon.net" with your

e-mail address and I'll forward a copy to you.

(I just hope it is "OK" to do something like this?, because the files are not mine.)

Besides which I don't have own a "Mac".

Oh well I guess you cannot have everything.

gcmaxxon

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
You'd have to work with DOS, I think, but it does work on Windows. Well, as far as I know. Someone... uh... possibly Micael might be able to tell you more.
Oh, so that's why whenever I tried to open Alint the screen just blinked and nothing happened... Oh well. I wish someone would have told me before I e-mailed Overwhelming... Then again, he did tell me it was working perfectly, so when it didn't work again I assumed he was just being his usual self.

Moral of the story: Overwhelming has a version of the Windows Alint. I don't know if it works yet, though.

You have to open a cmd.exe window, and run it from there. If you just double-click it, it will start up, finish and Windows will helpfully close the window without giving you a chance to read the output telling you what you're supposed to do.

I still have everything, so people can email me for it if they want.

Thanks, Kel.

Overwhelming: if you're reading this, please tell me when you put my things up for download. Anyhow, I'd like you to make the versions clear (0.9.1 for the Mac version, 0.9.0 for the PC version). Also, more importantly, provide a link to the source. I don't want people to download it without realising that source is available. (don't bother about the processed source one, but link to the other one (see the page Kel put up)). Incidentally, there is a slightly GUI Mac version now.

To anyone with a PC and a compiler: It'd be great if you could get version 0.9.1 to compile, and thereby get me an up-to-date Windows binary. It'll probably need a few tweaks, but it shouldn't be anything major (ask me by email or AIM)

Quote:
Originally written by Khoth:
You have to open a cmd.exe window, and run it from there. If you just double-click it, it will start up, finish and Windows will helpfully close the window without giving you a chance to read the output telling you what you're supposed to do.
Okay, so I've decided to try to work Alint. And I don't even know what a cmd.exe window is, not how to open one. Anyone feel like pointing me in the right direction?

Okay..

There is a better way of doing the following, but I don't know what it is since I'm not a windows user really, so I'm taking the lazy way out..

Move alint.exe into the folder that the scripts you want to check are in.

Go to the start menu, then run. Type "cmd" in the box, and press okay. A black window with white text, that you can type into, should come up.

Type the following into the box:

cd "C:\Games\Blades of Avernum\Blades of Avernum Scenarios\My Scenario"

Then press return.

(not exactly that, it was an example replace the path in there with the path to where your scripts are)

Now you can type "alint.exe script.txt" to check the file "script.txt". To check all script files in the folder, type "alint.exe *.txt" (first make sure that there are no text files in the folder that aren't script files).

Any friendly Windows programmer feel like wrapping it in a GUI shell like I did for the Mac?

Quote:
Originally written by Not I:
Quote:
Okay, so I've decided to try to work Alint. And I don't even know what a cmd.exe window is, not how to open one. Anyone feel like pointing me in the right direction?
1. Extract Alint.exe to the folder where your scripts are located.
2. Click "Run" in the "Start" menu.
3. Type "cmd", without the "".
4. Type "cd\", without the "".
5. Type: cd "c:\YourScriptFilesPath\", WITH the "".
6. Type "Alint -v yourscriptfile.txt", without the "". Example: alint -v t12draco.txt

You can omit the -v parameter, or use others. Just type "alint" alone, to see available comands.

You might also be able to run it with a DOS emulator, something like DOSBox... but that probably gets more complicated than it's worth.

Also, you don't need some of the commands you listed. Assuming Blades is on your c: drive, then once you start cmd just type

cd\

cd\whatever\ (whatever being the path to where you put alint)

I bet you'd find it easier to put Alint in c: but not in any folders. Then move your script there to test, meaning that once you start the cmd you just type

cd\

alint script.txt

After you complete the check, move the script back to your folder.

I don't see how can I explain more directly. frown

Did you do this:

1. Extract Alint.exe to the folder where your scripts are located.

?

Alint.exe must be in the same directory where your script files are. Also, if the scripts have no error, nothing appears, so that's ok. Try introducing an error in your script and check again, just to see if alint detects it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:
Now I did get as far as where it does run the program, but then I can't get it to check something.
Precisely what goes wrong?
I get the main menu of alint, but then I can't get it to check something. When I enter a commandline to check some file, it says the file doesn't exist.

What I was thinking of, is some sort of a step by step guide of what to do, like you did earlier, but then really exactly what to do. Also what to press (like you said press enter after cmd, but what exactly do i do after that?).

By "main menu" do you mean something like this?

Code:
Usage:alint [-advwV] file ...        -a: Check all files, not just *.txt        -d: Print bison debug trace information (You don't want to do this)        -v: More verbose output        -w: Print warnings        -V: Print current version        --: Check stdinOptions only apply to files appearing after them
If alint is in the same folder as your scripts, if you managed to get it to say that, then "alint *.txt" without the quotes and with an enter, should work.

If that's not what you mean by the main menu, then I have no idea what you are talking about. Be more precise.