Slot trouble

Poit

Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the call to add charcters to slots 2,3, and 4 as for whetever reason I can't see it in the documentation.

Normally I'd just cherrypick this from someones elses script but everyone seems to have jumped on the slot 5/6 bandwagon which is just silly.

Just to make things clear - even if you add the charcter to slot 4, say, it will appear next to the player;s character regardless of their number.

Okay, might sound a bit confusing, but for example, say I had a singleton. If I then went into a scenario and had someone join me, they would go into slot 4 or 5. In the game, they would then be directly behind my singleton, not three spaces away. The slot number doesn't actually matter, it's just for internal calculations and such.

Fair enough it isn't silly after all,

Still is there a call to add an actual character (with portrait, character screen ect.) into a party as opposed to putting in an NPC which you don't have direct control over.

This was used several times in Avernum 1 and 2 but I don't recall seeing it in the editor documentation for blades. I thought the call function might have been discontinued and replaced with the two NPC slots.

This isn'tcrucial just helpful for plot purposes.

Quote:
Originally written by Poit:
Thanks for that Drakefyre,

Its a pity its gone, still, back to work.
As a maybe slightly complicated work-around to give the NPC an inventory and experince, you could use calls and special abilites.

So, suppose you want to give the NPC an inventory. Just make a special ability which calls up a shop window, filled with the items you want them to have. That way, the party can take things from them, or give them things. You'd have to make sure to give the gold back afterwards, or make items with very little value (maybe 1gp?).

To give experience, why not increase the level of the joining NPC to keep in line with the parties. So, in the scenario's START_STATE, have a call that records the parties level every 20 or so ticks, and updates the NPC's as necessary. It's not perfect, but...