Rookie Aboard

Rogue

Force: No. But if you want to include a pre-made party, go ahead. You'll just need to let the user know that the scenario will not be enjoyable without using the supplied character. You could do what I like to do, and look over the player's inventory. If they aren't carrying a certain item (meaing they aren't using your characters), kill them instantly! Good way to 'force' usage.

Quote:
Originally written by The Demonslayer:
Force: No. But if you want to include a pre-made party, go ahead. You'll just need to let the user know that the scenario will not be enjoyable without using the supplied character. You could do what I like to do, and look over the player's inventory. If they are carrying a certain item (meaing they aren't using your characters), kill them instantly! Good way to 'force' usage.
Ooh, yeah, that's one way to enforce it. smile Reminds me of my D&D DM'ing days when dealing with unruly/uncompromising/cheating! players.

But seriously, a scenario I've got in mind just wouldn't be nearly as fun (or make much sense) without playing with very specific characters.

Thx

Quote:
Originally written by GuildBoss:
Rookie question:

Is it possible to include premade characters/party and force the player to use them?

TIA
If I meet a scenario telling me to do that I totally ignore the advice.

If the scenario kills me as a result, then I can easily edit the script files and edit it out.

Quote:
Originally written by Grey-Eyed Stranger:
Quote:
Originally written by GuildBoss:
Rookie question:

Is it possible to include premade characters/party and force the player to use them?

TIA
If I meet a scenario telling me to do that I totally ignore the advice.

If the scenario kills me as a result, then I can easily edit the script files and edit it out.
Even if the scenario wouldn't be as enjoyable or make sense?

It depends. I really don't believe that a lot of scenarios stand to gain from using a premade party.

In any case, I wouldn't force the players to play as your characters. I'd suggest it and include that party, but it should be up to them to actually take your advice and use it.

Most players will, really, and you won't alienate the ones who won't.

Quote:
Originally written by Imban:
It depends. I really don't believe that a lot of scenarios stand to gain from using a premade party.
Maybe not the average scenario but for a good storyteller/designer I'd imagine it'd be quite useful to know ahead of time who/what the characters/party will be.

But then again I'm not familiar with the BoA Editor so maybe it wouldn't make a lick of difference!

There are some wonderful calls for checking exactly what the party consists of (like get_level, append_char_name, species_in_party, party_size, etc). You can use these either to enforce your pre-fab party or to make your scenario vary depending on what kind of party is in it.

There is a group of Blades players who loathe pre-fab parties, although I don't really understand what the big deal is.

One piece of advice for rookies: as you design, read all of the old threads in this forum, especially the articles. Once you're done here, head over to the Lyceum (the link is in the BoA forum's header) and look around there. There's lots of ideas and answered questions lying around.

Well, let's say I just played through your prefab-party scenario with your prefab party. I was going to go rate it on CSR or something, but then realized that I missed a part of the scenario.

Rather than go back and play it all over again with a prefab party, I'd want to take in a god singleton just so I could breeze through to the part I missed.

---

Also, regarding an earlier comment - most scenario players will suspend their disbelief in order to accept the premise of a scenario. The heroes of Babysitting are "forced" to have a sister, for example.

Unless the balance of a scenario relies on you having a very specific set of stats, Areni, NTH, and Emulations being BoE examples, I'd really rather disrecommend a prefabricated party.