source code question

i mean when a scenario is loaded in BoA and not in the editor, although you're still probably right. in the comments vogel claims some of the code to be resused. if so the lengths may not be implemented in the game. it's important i know this about the token length in the script editor since , if i get it to compile on VC++, i'll put in an object oriented version of the scripitng engine. (which is pretty easy with MFC)

I would not change the editor in any way that would change how scenarios actually end up, only how easily they get there. Even if for whatever reason some change you make to the final product seems to work, there's no guarantee that it will always work in every possible way.. and even on the assumption that you could somehow know that it will always work, there is absolutely no way to know that a future patch to the game won't make it impossible.

And if that happened, any scenario made with your editor would suddenly require fixing.. and while this might be fine if you only use the tool yourself, if you distribute the modified editor to any extent, people are probably going to be miffed in your general direction.

I also meant when the scenario is loaded in BoA, not in the editor. The only string length problem I've had in the editor is the length of script names, which I'm pretty sure is a limit in the app, too.

I meant that when I playtest the scenario, the app gives me an error if strings are too long (like text bubble strings, dialog strings, etc). Since these are in the scripts themselves, the editor doesn't check for them at all (nor does it check for the number of boats or horses). The app is the only thing that will give an error related to them.

Quote:
Originally written by Qalnor:
I would not change the editor in any way that would change how scenarios actually end up, only how easily they get there.
This is exactly what i plan to do, although so far i've had to completely remake the program. thankfully the provided source code isn't to hard to follow, and its very easy to see how the scenarios are saved. unfortunately recreating this process is the easy part, since i still have to figure out when and in what context the data is modified.

also, if anyone has any suggestions for features on a new editor please tell me.