Making of Avernum 1 - 3

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Jeff still sells copies of the Avernum series. He would have you lynched if he found out that you were giving away remakes for free.
Exactly, that's what I'm thinking

Quote:
Originally written by The Demonslayer:
Worth it? No.
Most certainly not wink

I guess it'd be best to be used only for own pleasure

It would violate your license on the original games, but it may not technically be a violation of BOA's license.

I would however encourage people to avoid derivitive works in general. Paying homage to something in a scenario is one thing, but recreating anything not in the public domain and distributing it publicly is generally a violation of the law.

Perhaps someone from the BoE community could comment on how this was handled there, as I am sure that in the time BoE has existed this issue has come up on a number of occasions.

Basically, we don't have to worry about it, because no one ever finishes their Exile III remake. We have had a Resident Evil remake (Domestic Evil), and I've been told that New Life is basically Final Fantasy 7, but we don't generally worry about those. Probably it's not entirely legal, but no one really cares.

In short, you can do it, but if it's a Spiderweb game you'll almost certainly not get distributed, and you won't get nearly as much respect as you would if you made an original work. Heck, if people are so short of ideas, I've got a few cool ones that I'll never find time to make.

This has been discussed on the BoA forum, in this thread . As you can see, everyone who replied (except for me) hated the idea, and no one (except for Kennedy, who started the thread) thought it was possible. I still don't think it's a very bad idea, but read this thread before you consider it further.

It would be fun to play for people who don't have the other Avernum games themselves. But I don't have number 1 or 2, but I've won 3, so the time-frame would just make it confusing, not to mention that it is impossible to copy it absolutely perfect. Though if they're anything like Exile 1 -(I got the demo), they could do with serious remaking. If you do it, please let me know when it's ready for testing, I'll help.