Please Help Me Experienced Editors...

SmirfOfDoom

Quote:
Originally written by SmirfOfDoom:
The problem with most "scenarios" being this large is that they have a target level.
This is not even remotely true. The problem with most scenarios being this large is that they take an incredible amount of time to finish and almost no one ever does.

Okay, quick reality check. A 7 by 7 outdoors... that's about the size of A1 or A2, as you know because you mentioned it. A2 -- which had the engine already in place from Nethergate and A1, and the plot and most of the terrain already in place from E2, so that all that remained was porting from Exile to Avernum -- took Jeff working FULL TIME something on the order of a year. Do you really have all of the towns drawn out? In a 7 by 7 outdoors, I'd expect about 100 or so towns.

I somewhat believe that you have 75% of the outdoors done, but given that 75% of the outdoors would be about 35-40 sections, that's still less than a quarter of the drawing. And if you've pumped out 35-40 outdoor sections in the time since BoA was released, you've either been doing this since the game first came out, or your outdoors lacks detail. And then adding scripts is, er, hardly a trivial task after that. Scripts for 100+ towns could well take years -- that's on the order of 600 hours of work, which at full-time speed would take about four months.

By all means, keep working on this scenario, but don't ever expect to finish it. An article by Alcritas , who would know.

I don't know if it's ever been proposed-

But community efforts by the more "experienced editors" might be able to make vast scenarios. I don't suppose that that level of cooperation can be reached though frown .

I do know that there have been scenarios produced by at least 2 creators so it does seem possible.... There just would have to be some sort of agreement on just about every thing.

I realize that it is a good possibility that it will never actually be released. I also realize that every time I continue the scenario it makes it seem less and less appealing to me. However, what most people don't know is that this is not even close to my only scenario. I design the landscape as I go, and leave it as you said undetailed. The reason for this is, with enough time and practice I will be able to go back to it, and complete it. I never said that scripting was a simple task, and if you can read it anywhere that I have posted, then you are mistaken. That is why I have done next to nothing when it comes to scripting on this. I made about 3 scenarios with just a few towns and some scripting, and am getting used to it. I never said that this scenario would be coming soon. Never said it would be out within the month. However it is in the works. Which is all I ever said...

Quote:
Originally written by macrsp:
I don't know if it's ever been proposed-

But community efforts by the more "experienced editors" might be able to make vast scenarios. I don't suppose that that level of cooperation can be reached though frown
These have been tried before in BoE. They end badly. The one insurmountable difficulty with them is that if even one person drops out of the project then the whole scenario tends to go down the gurgler.

It's really rather like writing a book with someone. The biggest thing is making it all FIT, and having each person do their job and share of the work.

Discontinuity, unfinished work, miscommunication, and untested gaps because neither knew what the other was doing are major ailments.

Eh, but 2 people might be able to pull it off. They just need an instant messenger and very, very similar schedules. Very.

Ok. Once more a new question arises from the abyss. Is there any way to make a PC graphic different that will sustain itself to the conversion to a different computer then my own. I know that if you replace a graphic file on you own computer you can make your own graphics for your games, but I have no idea how to even begin making a new graphic that will hold to a different computer. (I'm not talking about monsters or NPC thats easy.) For example: If I included a save file that had a character made for the scenario with an Empirical Dervish graphic, how would I make it be the Dervish on everyone elses? Any ideas?

I'm fairly certain that unless you had them backup whatever graphic you wished to replace, then put the new one into the folder there is no way. I am talking from a Windows user perspective here, and I understand that there is far more that would need to be done for a Mac, enough so that there is little to no point in trying.

Apart from that I can't think of any other method to modify the default graphics. I could be wrong mind you.