Bahs Error

Kelandon

It has been brought to my attention that there is an obscure type of error in v1.0.6 of Bahssikava. It shows up differently on Macs and PCs, as an Unhandled Exception on the latter but with the following error message on the former: "Error: Tried to access item number , which is out of range." It shows up consistently when entering Mount Galthrax (L3), and as far as I can tell, it makes this version of the scenario unfinishable.

However, since it is so vague, I have no idea what the problem is. The scripts are fine — Alint gives no errors, and I didn't change them from v1.0.5 (which didn't have this error) to v1.0.6. I did add a few items all over Bahs, but I've combed over the town and haven't found any obvious problems.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I'd hate to have to go back to v1.0.5, but unless I can figure this out, I'll have to.

I guess I could do that.

And then I could place all the items again, one by one, and see what the problem is or if there even is a problem.

I have an e-mail out to Jeff, though, and it'll be interesting to see if he actually sends me back a real response.

EDIT: Uh, no, this is a weird error. Really, really weird. I just did that and it didn't fix the problem. And there are other strange effects that are showing up that can't possibly be due to anything that I can think of. So yeah, I think I'm going to need Jeff's help on this one.

I found out the problem. Jeff described it this way:

Quote:
Mixed Missiles Crash

It is possible to get an error on Macintosh systems or a crash on Windows systems when you set a creature type to be able to start with multiple varieties of missile weapon (e.g. bows, thrown missiles, etc.). For example, if a creature can start with a bow or with razordisks, you can get a problem.

To work around this, have any given creature type only carry one variety of missile weapon. The creature can potentially have different versions of that weapon (for example, a nephil archer can potentiall have a yew or cavewood bow), but don't have a single creature type that can have a bow or a crossbow, or a bow or javelins.

###

In this particular case, the problem was that specters can have crossbows or razordisks.

It would be wonderful if, having found out about this bug, he would then fix it, but this is far better than nothing.

In any case, if you're going to play Bahs, make sure to re-download. The version on my website is updated, and Spiderweb's tables should have the update soon.