Special Encounters

Nicothodes

I'm trying to put in a special encounter but it's not showing up in the game. I put the area which will trigger it and linked it to the code but it's not working. Here's the code it's linked to.

beginstate 10;

reset_dialog();

add_dialog_str (0, "This is where the dead are remembered. The shrine is consisted of four small pools.", 0);

add_dialog_str (1, "Do you want to wash yourself in one of the pools?", 1);

add_dialog_choice (0, "Yes");

add_dialog_choice (1, "No");

It doesn't show up because you forgot choice = rundialog(0). If you don't put run_dialog(0) after the dialog message, it doesn't appear. same goes for animations, mind you. Always end with run_animation(); or run_animation sound(sound_to_be_run);

So in your code you'll get:

Code:
 beginstate 10;reset_dialog();add_dialog_str (0, "This is where the dead are remembered. The shrine is consisted of four small pools.", 0);add_dialog_str (1, "Do you want to wash yourself in one of the pools?", 1);add_dialog_choice (0, "Yes");add_dialog_choice (1, "No"); choice = run_dialog(0);
You can also leave the choice = away, though.

I didn't forget to say that, but at the time I was writing that, we were about to have dinner.

As *i said, you have to define "choice" as a variable in the script. You do this by writing under the "variables;" section in the top of the script "int choice;"

I usualy put 0 at the run_dialog, because most of the time t isn't really necessary to let the party record a certain thing. However, if you do want to be able to let the party recoder a certain thing, then you indeed hav to put 1 instead of the 0.

Quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:
I usualy put 0 at the run_dialog, because most of the time t isn't really necessary to let the party record a certain thing.
I like to record things a lot more often than a designer might expect, so please, for my sake, always put in a 1.

Tell me if its wrong what I'm doing, but for some basic stuff, I design like I would play it. The record buttons is one of those things. If there is dialog that seems to me very useless to record (these are many things in my scenario. There are not many things that may be quite handy to record, and sometimes, it even can't be done, because I use message_dialog quite often, or does that automatically give the option to record?). other more significant stuff I usually let the player record.

It seems to me a bad idea to believe that everyone else's recording preferences are the same as yours. Again, I ask: what does it hurt to give the option too much? How could it be bad to give the option more often than necessary?

The call message_dialog automatically gives the "Record" button.

if the call message_dialog immediatly gived the record option, then what are you worrying? I only use the dialog calls (add_dialog_str and the like) when there has to be made some sort of choice. this is ussualy when reading a book or climing down stairs, that sort a thing. i could put the record option back everywhere, but, unless the betatesters would all start complaining, you can expect I won't put hem back. Too much work.

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
Quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:
I usualy put 0 at the run_dialog, because most of the time t isn't really necessary to let the party record a certain thing.
I like to record things a lot more often than a designer might expect, so please, for my sake, always put in a 1.
Ditto. I usually have to delete stuff from my journal by the middle of the scenario... and it's immensely annoying to have a huge dialogue box with about five long paragraphs appear with no possibility to store it. :rolleyes: