Suggestions

Dolphin

The scripting I can do, but coming up with good stories is a little harder for me. I wanted to see what people thought of this, and see if anyone has any ideas to improve it, or if it's worth doing at all.

Sorry for the long post. This really isn't as massive as it looks.

--------------------------------------------------------

The empire sends you to a small town to investigate reports of sick/dying livestock. The mayor of the town tells you that the local mage may have some ideas to help the animals.

The mage tells you that the townspeople are too weak from eating the sickly animals to help him, so he sends you to a distant area of empire lands to obtain a very rare herb (which blooms once every 100 years, or something) to make a potion that will cure the animal's illness.

After a couple days journey you come to the valley in which the herb is thought to be found, and discover that the area that was thought to be uninhabited has a number of people. After talking to the people you learn that they have formed a community outside of empire control, and they ask you to meet with "the wise one" rather than report back to the empire.

"The wise one" turns out to be a dragon that has been protecting the people from any empire soldiers that come, and in return the people give it offerings of treasures they find (as well as bringing it food and caring for it if need be).

The dragon has recently become very ill and is close to dying, but she has a single egg that once hatched will take her place. The same herb that the sick livestock need is needed to keep the dragon alive long enough to ensure her baby hatches, and protect the rare species (as well as allow the people to continue living free of the empire's control).

---------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking that the main combat would be in the process of obtaining the herb, so the scenario would be 3 towns, 1 dungeon, and 1-2 outdoor sections.

The player can either bring the herb back to the mage, and save the livestock. The reward would be something along the lines of priest spells and potion making xp.

The other option would be the player could give the herb to the dragon, and the dragon would give the reword of arcane lore and nature lore xp.

I wanted something fairly simple for a first scenario, but this doesn't seem to leave much room for anything elaborate.

Is the plot too simple?

Is there too little combat?

Is it boring to not have a "bad guy"?

Is the conflict lacking? (would anyone sacrifice the health and wellbeing of a town full of people to save a baby dragon, and the freedom of another town full of people?)

When do the goblins pounce?

The only poor advice I can offer is to really force the moral dilemna on the player. Make them choose to help the cattle or the dragon AND face the consequences. The dragon and her villagers will attack the party if they try to take the herbal supplements out of the valley. The sickly villagers will order up some meanies of their own once they hear that the party is NOT returning with the green goo.

Oh, and make sure there are goblins.

Quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:
When do the goblins pounce?
Well, I do greatly prefer goblins to undead :p

I was thinking of side quests like wild animals, or people needing assistance, and so on, so the player would get to know both the villagers with the ill animals and the dragon's villagers. That way they'll be more inclined to sympathize with one or the other.

Quote:
The only poor advice I can offer is to really force the moral dilemna on the player. Make them choose to help the cattle or the dragon AND face the consequences. The dragon and her villagers will attack the party if they try to take the herbal supplements out of the valley. The sickly villagers will order up some meanies of their own once they hear that the party is NOT returning with the green goo.
Hmm, defiantly, I hadn't gotten as far as the aftermath of the player's decision, but I like the sound of that. I can see the dragon's people attacking the player, as taking the herb out of the valley pretty much ends their way of life, as well as their beloved dragon.

The empire town's reaction is part of where I'm getting stuck, as odds are they wouldn't even know if the herb had been removed by someone else. I suppose the empire town could attack the dragon's town in a fit of desperation and rage, but that seems like a story in itself.

The Empire would likely be sending spies to watch the travels of the party, so that Empire mages could have access to this herb. When it is reported back to them that the party has aided a dragon (if they do that) then an appropriate Empire response would be to send troops to arrest the party AND troops to kill the dragon. The party should have a chance at seeing the trap and reasoning out that they need to help to dragon. Or they could just decide to take their punishment like good Empire hirelings.