Another Utility Program. . .

Niemand

This time what I have made is a program for seeing the effects of different graphic adjust values. I only have a mac version, and it is not particularly well made. (It's my first significant attempt at carbon programming, and I had a LOT of trouble with repainting and event handling) It allows you to select a cmg file (or the BoA built-in graphics files) and see all of the PICTS in it. You can than choose one, choose an icon from it, and see all 1024 possible versions of it.

I mostly made it because I find it useful, but I thought that other people might want it, so tell me if you have any interest.

Wow. This will be pretty incredibly useful. Two things: do you want to release the source? Most BoA utilities are open-source, so it seems natural. Also, might it be possible to optimize the scrolling somehow? It scrolls pretty slowly for me.

Anyway, looks like a great program. I will definitely use it often.

Yes, I was stupid and neglected to think of the source. I'll be happy to release it; after all I didn't write the most central part myself. I will need to write some better commenting though.

As to porting it to OS 9: I can't because I have no compiler capable of doing it.

As to porting to windows: That would basically require an entire new application that would share essentially none of my code I believe, since most of what I wrote handles PICT resources and UI elements.

Edit: can you descibe what you mean about the scrolling, Kelandon? It should scroll by one row of graphics at a time, or you can drag the scroller to the poitn you want. Is it not doing that, or do you think that that is not very good?

Quote:
Originally written by Niemand:
Edit: can you descibe what you mean about the scrolling, Kelandon? It should scroll by one row of graphics at a time, or you can drag the scroller to the poitn you want. Is it not doing that, or do you think that that is not very good?
It scrolls slowly. Especially when the different icon adjustments are all on the screen at once. I don't know how to say it any other way — if I want to scroll down three rows, and click down three times, it takes a while to get there. Not too long, but long enough that I suspect that it could be done faster.

It'd be nice to be able to resize the windows, too. And for a double-click on a graphic to choose the graphic.

These are little details, though. The program will be useful regardless.

Archmagus Michael: the maximum possible graphic adjust value is 512+256+128+64+32+16+8+4+2+1=1023. The minimum is 0. Therefore there are 1024 possible values. Even within these, though, many will look the same.

Kelandon: I think that it is a bit slow because I took a big chunk of RAM and put the entire picture which is made of the 1024 graphics. It generates this ahead of time, and then when you scroll it only has to copy part of it to the screen. There really isn't any way as far as I know to make it faster than with this one large copy operation, because any alternative would involve multiple smaller copy operations, and would require many more clipping calculations. On my computer the scrolling is quite fast; what type of computer are you using?

Also, the window isn't resizeable because that would require recalculation of that massive image.

I can look into the double clicking, but I'm not sure if I know how to determine if an event is a single or double click. Also, since it's just been released, the old versions would then have to be replaced with a new version.

EDIT: Ok, I have commented the code. Anyone who would like a copy can have it.