Development

Master Xan

Shadows

"Some farmers are apparently afraid of their own shadows."

Rated Everyone, levels 15-20

Designed to be a challenging scenario for the recommended levels. Small, only two outdoor squares, with two small towns planned and (currently) two hostile towns.

Well, I finally broke down and am following advice. I'm making me a nice little scenario, nothing special, before attempting to create a more complicated one based in the Wheel of Time universe.

I'll occasionally drop by and update these numbers.

Storyline/Planning: 75%

Outdoors: 60%

Towns: 50%

Specials: 10%

Dialog: 10%

Scripting: 20%

Graphics: 30%

Overall: ~35%

Estimated Alpha: On Hold, Permanently

Beta:

Public Release:

I'll need some basic scripting help, but hopefully I can figure out most of it with the various tutorials floating around (and there are quite a few, I see). But knowing me, I'll come up with some more random, extremely stupid things I can't find in the tutorials. That is, beyond the random stupid thing I already managed to come up with (see below).

Mostly just wanted to get responses, and ask for graphic help. Need someone to do some creature graphics for me, as I completely suck with it. If you're willing to help email me at masterxan at burntmail dot com.

(Note: I kept this seperate from the "Scenarios in Development" thread for a reason; mostly I just want to ask questions pertaining to this scenario right here, rather than starting various threads. As I have waaaaay too much free time right now and it's a small scenario, I also anticipate needing testers fairly soon, and those efforts will be launched from here as well.)

Sweet. Now all I have to do is figure out why my monsters won't show up...

And so my first scripting question: How do I create custom monsters? Now before you go all wack, it isn't really as dumb a question as it sounds. Well, ok, maybe it is. But I made the script for it, I just can't get it to show up in the editors creature list. I don't see much in the tutorials about this problem, which tells me I'm probably the only guy too stupid to figure it out.

For the time being, it's just a little test guy. Armed Townsfolk. No behavioral anything, just his level, equipment, and what-have-you. Is there an import process I need to follow? Or is the script itself flawed? Here we go...

beginscendatascript;

begindefinecreature 240;

clear;

cr_name = "Armed Townsfolk";

cr_level = 10;

cr_hp_bonus = 25;

cr_species = 0;

cr_which_sheet = 1501;

cr_default_attitude = 2;

cr_natural_armor = 1;

cr_default_strategy = 10;

cr_start_item 0 = 17;

cr_start_item_chance 0 = 75;

cr_start_item 0 = 19;

cr_start_item_chance 0 = 100;

cr_start_item 0 = 51;

cr_start_item 0 = 26;

cr_start_item 0 = 114;

cr_start_item 0 = 126;

Your problem is very likely that you don't have a custom objects script file. If your scenario .bas file is titled, for example, "valleydy.bas," you need a text file titled "valleydydata.txt" (possibly omitting the .txt if you're not set to show extensions).

Make that file, put the script in it, and see what happens.

haha, what makes you think I'll steal your work? Well, hmmm... I suppose there are people who would. But I'm not one of them, so no worries.

Like I said, probably just me being dumb, not able to figure out something simple. I'll make a guess that it IS in the tutorials, but not in the custom creatures sections I looked at (and me being me, I skipped large swaths of the rest, only focussing on creatures and items for now). Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go attempt it right now...

Edit: Yep, works like a charm. Thanks for the assistance. Hopefully this will teach me to be more thorough in my tutorial searching...

• 2 months later...

After some two months of inactivity, I've finally gotten around to reviving this project. Normally I get lazy and don't finish things, but at least this time I had a good excuse (car accident, family death, don't ask and please, no sympathy).

Anywho, um... yeah. Time to relearn everything I've forgotten, and finally get some scripting done.

• 2 weeks later...

This project has been scrapped, in favor of writing a book. That is, I'm writing a book with the time I would have spent making this scenario. It was simply too difficult for me to do what I wanted to do with the constraints of the system, and writing a book is something I've always wanted to do anyway. Sorry folks.

Quote:
Originally written by Master Xan:
This project has been scrapped, in favor of writing a book. That is, I'm writing a book with the time I would have spent making this scenario. It was simply too difficult for me to do what I wanted to do with the constraints of the system, and writing a book is something I've always wanted to do anyway. Sorry folks.
Hmmm... I don't really know what to say:

1) Aaaah. what a pity....
2) I'm glad I didn't make more then one graphic for the scenario then, because of lazines and bussines
3) Can i see what you did until now?
4) May I use the graphic I made instead of you?

I can't think of any more reactions for now.

Quote:
Well here are a few less savory responses that I do not endorse:

1) Good. It probably wouldn't have had any merit as a scenario anyway.
2) This only further confirms my utter lack of faith in you to complete a project. I mock your attempt at making a book.
3) Excellent! Everything is going according to the prophecy...
4) Holy triange trout, Batman!!

Quote:
Originally written by *i:
Quote:
Well here are a few less savory responses that I do not endorse:

1) Good. It probably wouldn't have had any merit as a scenario anyway.
2) This only further confirms my utter lack of faith in you to complete a project. I mock your attempt at making a book.
3) Excellent! Everything is going according to the prophecy...
4) Holy triange trout, Batman!!
Here are four examples of I wouldn't have said. On the other hand, here are four examples that TM would gladly say. He already chose the second one to say. Why not all of them TM?

Quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:
You used 1)? I didn't see it. I'll look better next time. And Thuryl, sometimes I have to say something. I often try not to say anything or just ignore it, but I couldn't let it go this time. maybe because I helpt Master xan with some graphics.
I wonder if there is a connection between Thralni's graphics and scenarios not getting finished...looks like a 1 to 1 correlation thus far... :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally written by *i:
Quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:
You used 1)? I didn't see it. I'll look better next time. And Thuryl, sometimes I have to say something. I often try not to say anything or just ignore it, but I couldn't let it go this time. maybe because I helpt Master xan with some graphics.
I wonder if there is a connection between Thralni's graphics and scenarios not getting finished...looks like a 1 to 1 correlation thus far... :rolleyes:
I don't think so.