Targeting a custom ability

Just a thought: the convention of making TALKING_STATE link to a dialog node is just that, a convention. You could give all the enemies a special version of basicnpc that does whatever special thing you want to do in TALKING_STATE. I haven't tested this, though, it's just a thought.

--------------------

IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:

I will not rely entirely upon "totally reliable" spells that can be neutralized by relatively inconspicuous talismans.

Quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:
Just a thought: the convention of making TALKING_STATE link to a dialog node is just that, a convention. You could give all the enemies a special version of basicnpc that does whatever special thing you want to do in TALKING_STATE. I haven't tested this, though, it's just a thought.
Conversely, dialog mode doesn't actually have to involve talking to an NPC. You can use it for more complicated special abilities, such as maybe special spell selection. I think Bahss used this for item identification, though in the form of an NPC, probably to work around the limitations of both item identification and the "This conversation is over" message.