BoA is being Pic-y

Nioca

I'm hitting a problem with the set_char_dialogue_pic call. I set it up correctly (char 22,graphic 539,icon 0), but when I go to talk to the character, an error comes up and says the following:

"Blades of Avernum was unable to load graphic sheet 539. Quitting and restarting Blades of Avernum might help. If not, a graphic file may be damaged. In this case, reinstall the game."

Then another error comes up:

"Error! The game just failed to load this graphic: sheet 539, icon 0. The editor might have run out of memory but, more likely, the graphic it was trying to find wasn't there."

You won't see this error again until you load a new outdoor section or town."

Then the first error comes up again, and in the small message pane below the gameplay screen, there's about 15 instances of this message:

"Stuck on 539."

I've checked, and the graphic does exist, and it does comply with the 64x64 restriction. Does anyone have any ideas?

No idea, but the messages remind me of an infinite loop I got the game into when I tried to modify a .sav file.

What OS are you using? Troubleshooting for graphics depends on that.

--------------------

Randal said it would be tough to do in sed. He didn't say he didn't understand sed. Randal understands sed quite well. Which is why he uses Perl.

- Larry Wall

Hmm. Well, if the error still persists tomorrow, I'll try it on a PC at a friend's house. I can't even replicate the error right now.

I am, by the way, placing the starting location for the scenario right next to the character who has this dialogue pic. There's a remote possibility that it has something to do with something that you do earlier in the scenario, but I don't know how.

Just thinking out loud here, but AGB had a similar problem, and a few people have reported it after release, although I can't for the life of me pin it down.

Just check to make sure you have only one instance of G539 in the scenario folder, and make sure that in the BoA scenario folder there are no stray files. Also, check your custom terrain script. After doing all these, it cut down the number of times it happens in AGB...

It's a 24-bit bitmap through and through. I wish I could give you a definitive answer on the owt, but I don't even know what that means.

UPDATE: I figured out what the problem was. Apparently, BoA doesn't like a black border around that type of graphic. Anyway, the problem is now fixed.

Thanks again!