In-game, you either get stuck in the castle and get killed by a swarm of guards (if you didn't get all five brooches) or Erika teleports you to safety. I don't think anything is said for sure in later games (beyond the fact that they disappeared), though it is implied that the heroes went up to the surface -- which makes sense, given that they successfully found and navigated the last remaining exit from the caves.

No, only the E2 heroes. Here's the mention -- it's Solberg:

"True enough. I was one of the first wizards here. I fought in the first war against Grah-Hoth. I helped build the Tower of Magi. I had the honor of assisting the adventurers who destroyed Grah-Hoth once and for all."

"Then I had the further honor of assisting the adventurers who contacted the vahnatai and helped us win the war against the Empire. I have had a hard life in Avernum, but at least it was full of achievement."

"The first group? Nobody knows. They disappeared. Some think that they eventually found an escape route to the surface, though I have my doubts."

"The second group? They are in Avernum still, helping repair the damage from the Avernum war and working to build relations with the vahnatai."

• 1 month later...