So I'm Generally Loathed.....

Well, certain dialogue options won't be available to you. I don't know offhand which ones, but there are various walkthroughs that will tell you what Reputation you need to get certain missions. That's about the only reason that it matters.

EDIT: Also, if you would tone down your posting rate (ie not posting several new topics in a single forum within a few minutes of each other), that would be much appreciated. If you don't, bad things will happen to your account.

He is wondering why reputation really matters because though he is at 0 reputation, therefore his party has the "Loathed" title, everyone still talks to him. I believe he is just using Cotra as an example; it is just like any other town for his argument.

Reputation makes many small parts of the game easier, and is definitely required for some quests. But the reputation requirements are usually very low because there are many ways to lose reputation in large intervals, but only a few definite ways of gaining it.

For example, silverlocke in upper avernum sells potions. She even sells knowledge potions, increasing your skill points, which can be very helpful during the game getting those extra points. However, you need a certain reputation to buy them from her or else she says something like i sell potions to the real adventurers or something like that.

It would be kind of cool to have a totally different dialogue based on your reputation, though. Maybe that's something that can be suggested for Jeff's later games, although it would take much more time to develop.

Quote:
Originally written by Rent-an-Ihrno:
i find gaining rep very easy, though its much more fun to play in a non-rep-gaining way laugh
Agreed. I have the demo version, so I have to use the editor for this trick. Go to the Inn of Blades, and complete the metal quest for the apprentice mage in the inn. Then once you talk to him get him to leave and you will gain a reputation point. Leave and use the editor to reset hostile towns. Then go back and repeat the process. laugh

Btw, this also works with another person in that town. You have to clear the isle of bigail for him first though.