Game Difficulty

Ok, so I have a couple peeves about Avernum, don't get me wrong though, it's an awsome game.

What ever happened to its difficulty? Sure it has the settings that go all the way up to "Torment", but even that's not enough. An example of this is a character around lvl 6 doing (on average) 100 damage points in A3 to the alien slime. I remember in Exile 3, my level 36 fighter rarely hit above 60 dp (not counting assasination) on creatures that were much lower than him, even with some really decked out gear.

I made sure when I did my tests, all Avernum games were up to date, but it still seemed like "Torment" wasn't painfull enough (I'm a masochist)! In Exile 3 it took me almost 8 hours to battle through the Tower of Magi, countless char. editor spams and lots of dead mega demons. Even the Alien Slime took a little bit of time to chop into itty-bitty peices.

It's becasue of this that I have refrained from buying the full fledged Avernum versions, it became a bit monotonus when one hits the higher levels. I sneeze on a demon and it suddenly takes 271 dp, flips me the bird and hauls ass outta there! I want a difficulty setting that is "Diabolical", it's not fun enough it I'm not tearing chunks out of my face!

Please help this pathetic old sot!

Damage in Avernum 3 is calculated differently than in the other Avernum games. Those high damages are balanced out by what they can do to you. You will find later on that this makes you need more health just to survive one blow.

If you want something similar, but with better balance try Avernum 1 and 2 or Nethergate: Resurrection.

The tranformation from E3 into A3 generally meant not only more health for monsters, but also more damage dealt. Also, melee tends in the Avernum engines to do much more damage than magic will do to a single target.

If you want harder combat but the same engine, try the upper-level Blades of Avernum scenarios. Canopy, Bahssikava, and Exodus among others are known for being challenging (and if I forgot a scenario, I'm sorry; I haven't played most of the newer ones).

But it sounds like you already have Blades of Exile. I know there are fun and challenging scenarios for it, so why not play those?

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
You could always go without using weapons, spells, or magic items to make it more painful. :p
Along these lines, several forum-goers have tried arbitrary limitations on themselves to make the games more challenging, exactly as Diki described. So, while she's joking, she's kind of not.

Calphrexo's (er, Rakshasi's?) suggestion of some of the harder BoA scenarios (or BoE scenarios) is also a good one.

Quote:
You could always go without using weapons, spells, or magic items to make it more painful.  

Dikiyoba.
True true, though I'm not that much of a masochist. I just wish A3 was a little more rounded, I don't like being able to kill a boss in two or three hits with normal weapons.

I agree that I could always play BoA senarios that are hella hard...I guess it just something about fighting in E3 that is just so heart pounding. Daemon lords and Devine Thud's are very amusing. I've always found that less tactics and resorece conservation were needed in the Avernum games, besides I miss all the spells, and casting "Kill" on chickens.

I think a mod should be made to incorperate the Exile engine into Avernum.

Then again...I am just a plain whiner.

The high damage in A3 is a double-edged sword... Sure, I took out the Alien Slime before it even got a chance to call for mini-slime assistance, but I've also been completely obliterated by Dark Wyrms and Alien Beasts doing over 100 damage per hit... My two magi have about 250 health, and it's not nearly as much as I'd like.

Wasn't me. I've never even finished a game with a fully functional singleton, and I find torment quite hard enough for me.

—Alorael, who recommends the two earlier Avernums. A3 has inflated damage and a cap that both just don't quite feel right. A1 and A2 keep everything down at reasonable levels.

If you wanna cry in your sleep and wet your bed with nightmares: try the final fight of A3 without attacing for 30 rounds, with no weapon armour or anythign at all, then try to finish it with 2hp each player only with using sticks. that might make you embrace torment normal, or it might be so easy you think im a retard, i don't care about either one really :p

I have just finished A2 as a singleton with normal difficulty. Although it was a bit tricky at the start, it became easier as I went along. I did get killed more often as usual but although I could not get enough Vahnatai Lore to be able to read some tomes for level 3 spells, Angierach, the Empire Portal and Garzahd were actually rather easy.

Perhaps I should try a singleton with torment.

Quote:
Originally written by D Pliss:
If you wanna cry in your sleep and wet your bed with nightmares: try the final fight of A3 without attacing for 30 rounds, with no weapon armour or anythign at all, then try to finish it with 2hp each player only with using sticks.
Maybe I'll try that when I actually register it.

Quote:
Originally written by D Pliss:
Yay im glad ppl arent calling me noobie casue doing that was a 5 minute fight for me frown
I don't call anyone anything, other than their names. Name-calling is rather infantile.
Quote:
Originally written by Necro-Master:
A standard RuneScape nut. Nalyd feels pity for your inability to find better games.
To each his own. I've never played Runescape, but I know for a fact that some of us here still play games for the Atari 2600, 8-bit NES, and Apple IIe.

runescape can top all games, and to that person who hasnt tried it before......you've wasted all of your until now not playing it.....PLAY RUNESCAPE HANDS down TOTAL BEST advise EVER on these boards

-keep in mind that runescape is better than wow by a long shot...and uses java cool