dragons?love em hate em?

Ahah, I'm gonn'a bash open door:

YES, I HATE THEM TOO!

Nah, seriously, they're like:"Blabla, I'm full of wisdom, fear me mortal!"

But in fact, they're just stupid lizard, who hate the Empire, 'cause the Empire slay them all.

If you want to live, you have to be strong, and the Dragons weren't strong enough...

See in Za-Khazi run: you can slay one of them without too much trouble...

They speak a lot, read the greatest magic books of the universe, but get killed by a level 25 party!

May the Gods have pity!

as a rule, humans should never have the means to engage dragons. With respect to conventional definitions of the nature and power of the differing species it is nothing but egotistical to assume humans (the mortal kind at least) have a chance.

It would be more consistent and less infantile if dragons were something of an assured death event. As such only the brave or exceedingly foolish and likely both would actively seek them out. This is not to say all dragons are evil, but as a whole they prefer to be left alone to begin with.

I'll cease rambling.

I just hate the arrogance. Why the hell does koth get to blockade the way to fort cavalier? Because hes an arrogant dragon. Actually, ive decided to kill him this play through. He also hates humans based solely on his experience of the empire. Even when people help the (like in Avernum 3 with the alien beasts) they still consider the humans their enemies. Blah blah blah. Ill stop ranting.

Dragons??? Dragons???

Those THINGS are;

a) Damned Arrogant

B) Damned Stupid

c) Just plain annoying

d) Powerful to fight

e) UGLY

f) Greedy

g) Won't share any of their knowledge

h) Anything I missed out???

- Draconian creatures can be the savior or the destroyer of magical research. Avoid them at all costs

I think it's their magic that makes them arrogant. Just think of Erika, Linda, Garhazad, X, Rone, and probably a couple other human wizards who are equally arrogant, insane, amoral, or some combination of the three. Patrick and Solberg are the only good examples that come to mind.

Also, remember that unlike humans, dragons aren't social creatures. Their natural state of existence is solitary, so they probably aren't that good at getting along with other creatures of any species. Mortax is a very rare exception, a dragon with the soul of a human. Come to think of it, you might also think of Erika as a human with the soul of a dragon.

Dragons are cool! Of course they need to be arrogant, to match up against the egos of adventurers nowadays.

If dragons were 20 meters long, ferocious, fire-breathing, deadly, unbelievably powerful, humble little lizards, who would respect them? They need to have an ego to go with all that power... smile

Quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:
Dragons??? Dragons???

Those THINGS are;

a) Damned Arrogant
B) Damned Stupid
c) Just plain annoying
d) Powerful to fight
e) UGLY
f) Greedy
g) Won't share any of their knowledge
h) Anything I missed out???

- Draconian creatures can be the savior or the destroyer of magical research. Avoid them at all costs
a) & B):thats more you than them!
c):only when they are nasty to gits like you
laugh
d):they need to be strong!
e):no they are not!but you are laugh
f):its just treasuer they've found/earned.so YOU not them are greedy!
g):khoth gives you knowledge (spells) in a/e3
h).....

Mr im 2 saxy 4 this post again makes such reasoned and valid points.

I felt no qualms about killing Pyrog in A1, and I felt sad when Motrax died shortly after A2. I celebrated when Athron had her babies, knowing that dragons would not die out, but I had the serious urge to kill Sulfras just to test myself against that kind of power.

Overall, I could understand the dragons' perspective enough not to get too frustrated with them, and I liked them enough not to want them to go extinct, but I can't say I was terribly fond of any except Motrax.

What is there not to like about dragons? They hate humans, but it's rather justifiable. Humans drove them into the caves, and then humans proceed to butcher two of the five remaining dragons and imprison another two.

For gigantic, powerful beasts with centuries of grudge, I'd say they're remarkably understanding. Not once do they decide to level Avernum just because.

—Alorael, who has to admit that it helps that Motrax has adorable cats. And Khoth has a library that is truly worthy of copious amounts of drool.

As mentioned previously, they are only killable by the party because the converse would be uninteresting in game terms. IIRC it took a whole army to kill Motrax, and I'm fairly sure that if you tried that out in the Arena the Empire soldiers would find it somewhat easier. Clearly the dragons are deliberately underrepresented to make them fit in with the game.

-E-