Best attack for Shapers

Posted (edited)

EDIT

If you play a shaper, which means you do healing and buffing with the occasional searer, what is the "to-go" attack? 

For me, the vampiric lance does significantly more damage than firebolt and I have battle magic 1 to use searer. And the vampiric lance has to hit bonus.

Edited by alhoon

That quote was pulled out of an extremely specific context.  It was not a categorical statement, as you have presented it here, and it does not belong in this topic.

Regarding the other things you say:

- Weapons and spells do not have the same base hit rate.  (This is easy to see, as otherwise, weapons would always be more accurate than spells, but obviously this is not the case.)

- The healing from the Vampiric Lance is not very impressive.

- If you haven't invested in magic at all ("I have battle magic 1") then no, low-level spells are not going to outdamage a high-level missile weapon.  I don't understand why this is confusing.

Posted (edited)

Because you said: Unless you are a guardian... I am not a guardian and I don't do better with Firebolt. I also don't have a lot of essence to use searer more than once or twice.

Regardless, since I got you here, that simple quote just got me thinking. I didn't want to make a topic about THAT quote, I wanted to talk about Shaper go-to attacks: 

What do you think is / should be the "bread-and-butter" attack for a Shaper from mid-game (say... exploring much of the Awakened lands)? Not just MY Shaper that could go the entire game without making an attack thanks to my creations. 

Invest more in essence / have less expensive creations and spam searer? Get more battle magic? 
Use airshock crystals? (Honestly, I have found many of those). 
The other lance I found that returns but doesn't heal? 
Steel lances /  Shaped Lances (I have found over 50, and I have started selling them, although I hoard some)? 

Get a cannister to get +1 missile weapons and a token/item and use batons? 

I understand of course that most of those are viable, but they may not be optimal except for certain play styles. 

Edited by alhoon

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ZorroDragonslayer said:

I agree. The rest are used up after thrown.

OK, perhaps I was thinking Shaped Lances that I had over 50 at some point (and if you're a Shaper, you won't find yourself attacking that often - 50 are more than enough). 

So, that cleared up, what do you guys think? What is the best attack for a Shaper? At high levels 6 or so skill points to get missile 2 (I bet there is a cannister somewhere to give me a +1) is totally viable. Whether it is worth it though... that's the discussion I would like to have. 
With missile 2 and some item that gives a little bit of missile perhaps I could use those nice and nifty batons that shoot venom. Of course, with less skill points I could also raise battle magic by 1 and use a more effective searer - assuming I would have the essence to.  

Edited by alhoon