A1 - Silver Circlet Problem

Hi all,

I am new to the boards, but not new to the Avernum games. I am currently playing Avernum 1 and am stuck on the silver circlet.

I know that I need a key, and I know where that key is (I think...small cave, out of Spire to the west, guarded by spiders). BUT, when I get there, there are no spiders, and I can't enter the secret tunnel.

I haven't got the key, because I can't open any of the doors to the chamber where the circlet is hidden. I have put a lot of hours in, and it seems that I am stuck. frown

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am not sure why I can't enter the tunnel. Possibly I visited earlier in the game and didn't fully complete it to collect the key, but for some reason the game thinks I did.

I have tried the character editor that comes with the game, but I didn't think that you can add specific items with this. Is there another tool that I can use that I can add this one key specifically?

Hi Micawber,

Thanks for the response. I have talked to Scab and Asp and pretty much everyone else, but I still can't get into the cave. I'm starting to think that maybe my saved file has corrupted or something.

I've had a look at the character editor, and while you can add special items in both Avernum 2 and 3, I don't think that this feature was included in the Avernum 1 Editor. Looks like it's back to the start for me. mad

Don't give up yet.

I think it's possible you already have the key. Check your special items screen: do you have the Silver Key? The tunnel is an outdoors encounter and you can't ever enter it as such, you can only pick up the key once.

Reading your first post again more carefully, I note that you refer to "opening the doors to the chamber". You don't need to open any doors. There is a secret passage at the north end of the east wall of the circlet chamber. You can enter via Meena's bedroom. You can access Meena's bedroom itself via another secret passage, from the east. This leads to a long passage and a door to the brigand's lair.

Hope this helps.

Ahem. Am now feeling slightly foolish.

I knew that I needed a key to get the circlet, and I knew that there was a secret passage to get there. I assumed that they key would open one of those locked doors onto the passage - it never occured to me to run round the outside of the walls to find another way in.

Thanks for all you help Micawber.