I just joined and thought I would say hi. I've been playing Spiderweb games for over 5 years now since I got a demo of Nethergate from a gaming magazine. Recently, I've gone back to the games to play them again, and I'm wondering what's with the building in the northwest corner of New Cotra in A3? How do you get in?

It is entirely possible to finish it without the "correct" item. Personally, I prefer it that way - more of those "We are so obviously a Sci-Fi influenced bunch of grey skinned wierdos" to kill.

It is even entirely possible to finish it without Erika's amulet too. That way, Avernum is in a better position (the more of 'em you kill now, the less you have to later...), especially if you kill two or three of their Crystal Souls to lower the number of powerful spellcasters the Vahnatai have.

Well, spoilers, but they're already pouring in.

It's very possible to avoid the fight with the Crystal Souls without help from the Bunker. I did so after getting tired of waiting for them to finish making the Thought Crystal. It just requires haste and abuse of waiting.

—Alorael, who didn't finish the game without Erika's amulets. He's not sure whether or not it would be harder. Getting around some earlier fights is nice, but Erika's main contribution to the last battle is summoning hordes to get in the way and make reaching the control panel more difficult.