Avernum's Better

The terrain's a bit more realistic.

There's more dialogue, and a better dialogue system in general.

More quests.

You can get special skills and abilities, in addition to the basic set.

You have a reputation, which can influence events.

If you have a high enough Cave Lore/Nature Lore skill, you can avoid some potentially nasty fights.

Exile's spell system is better, though, since there's a much wider variety, and your combat spells can target open spaces (warning: and your PCs too) and not just monsters. Bring back Shockwave!

Quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:
If you have a high enough Cave Lore/Nature Lore skill, you can avoid some potentially nasty fights.
Exile 3 also had this feature.

Personally, I prefer Avernum, but when I think why, it always goes down to two things - I like being able to attack in not in combat mode (in Exile you HAD to enter combat to fight), and I don't like respawning dungeons (in Exile, monsters come back to dungeons even if you wipe them out completely).

Plus it looks nicer :p

Quote:
Originally written by The Walrus xx:
Quote:
I don't remember it, and I played nothing but E3 and BoE for about a solid year. All I remember about avoiding combat is a message that said: "Combat: Monsters fled!"

Quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:
Avernum is better, but I am still wondering about the little cutscene on the Exile 3 Menu, for when you load up Exile 3.
Where is the cave that the cutscene shows?
Edit -sorry for the off topicness, but I had to ask this.
That cave is actually an easter egg. I think it's somewhere in the northwest of Valorim, near the coast of Footracer province. If you enter it exactly on a day that is a multiple of 11 wearing only Vahnatai cloaks and carrying only sticks as weapons, you can battle Undead Emperor Hawthorne. Beat him, and you win the Xian Skull. Betcha didn't know that one existed in Exile, eh?

[sorry, I got carried away.]

---

I feel nostalgic very often, and I prefer Exile for their nice atmosphere. But the Avernums had the advantage of being second attempts, and got smoother both in terms of interface and story.

So it's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens.

Quote:
Edit -sorry for the off topicness, but I had to ask this.
There is no need for your saying that. Most of the time a topic discussion never stays on subject.

I have to say, I think the Avernum trilogy would have been cooler with a cutscene in the main menu. The Exile trilogy was better in that sense.

EDIT:
Exile III also had a cheat that reset junk shops. I used that when I saved up for a mithral chain mail.

Quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:
Exile III also had a cheat that reset junk shops. I used that when I saved up for a mithral chain mail.
Same here. And let's not forget to bring some extra cash for little things like knowledge brew, and rings of health, and boots of speed, and a spare Demonslayer,... laugh

Although in general I prefer Avernum over Exile, I forgot to mention two ways I prefer Exile over Avernum. First, it's a lot easier to buy knowledge brew early on, allowing you to pump up your PCs fairly easily. Second, (spoiler) if you have a high alchemy skill, you can use it to make a huge fortune in Lorelei.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally written by The Walrus xx:
Quote:
I don't remember it, and I played nothing but E3 and BoE for about a solid year. All I remember about avoiding combat is a message that said: "Combat: Monsters fled!"
I've just checked, and you can avoid fights. You get a small dialog box asking if you want to skip the battle... At least, you can in Upper Exile.

If I remember correctly, E1 has much weaker monsters simply run away from you so you never enter combat and E3 gives you the choice to fight them or not. I can't recall which way E2 handles it.

—Alorael, who hasn't played any of the Exile Trilogy in the last year or two. Excluding E3 it's been even longer.