Sholai schemes

7 hours ago, alhoon said:

They are not much sneakier, they just don't kidnap Shapers. After they found out that doing that leads to their demise. 

True, but they are still stealing shaper secrets, not to mention siding with one of the most dangerous and insane faction in the game as well. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ultra112 said:

True, but they are still stealing shaper secrets, not to mention siding with one of the most dangerous and insane faction in the game as well. 

Of  course, my point is they are not sneaky about it. :) 
Was anyone really surprised when they learned their super-secret goal in their main camp? It is hardly a plot twist that people that risk their necks going into Shaper ruins to get the machines, openly talk about how much they think of the awesomeness of Shaper, are aligned with the "Open Shaping to the entire world!!!!1111" faction are actually trying to sneak Essence and Shaper knowledge back home. 

Compare that with the at least more subtle woman that pays a fortune for Shaper devices in the Awakened lands, someone that may well be working for an unknown actor that tries to take Shaper Secrets by sending merchants to such wretched and half-abandoned places to get his or her hands on Shaper technology, magic and equipment. 

If that Merchant there has a secret sponsor, then that secret sponsor is at least more subtle about it. 

Edited by alhoon

8 hours ago, alhoon said:

Of  course, my point is they are not sneaky about it. :) 
Was anyone really surprised when they learned their super-secret goal in their main camp? It is hardly a plot twist that people that risk their necks going into Shaper ruins to get the machines, openly talk about how much they think of the awesomeness of Shaper, are aligned with the "Open Shaping to the entire world!!!!1111" faction are actually trying to sneak Essence and Shaper knowledge back home. 

Compare that with the at least more subtle woman that pays a fortune for Shaper devices in the Awakened lands, someone that may well be working for an unknown actor that tries to take Shaper Secrets by sending merchants to such wretched and half-abandoned places to get his or her hands on Shaper technology, magic and equipment. 

If that Merchant there has a secret sponsor, then that secret sponsor is at least more subtle about it. 

I really don't like to say this, but I can't wait to see them perform shaping haphazardly and ended up backfiring on them tremendously only then will they understand that shaping can only be performed by those strictly trained themselves in the art.

1 hour ago, ultra112 said:

I really don't like to say this, but I can't wait to see them perform shaping haphazardly and ended up backfiring on them tremendously only then will they understand that shaping can only be performed by those strictly trained themselves in the art.

This could lead from anything like a caninster of dead essence from mishandling to a few dead Sholai and a barred place from an accident to weird weeds spreading out and causing food disruptions in a region to a continent-spanning ecological disaster.  

If I had to bet, it would be more "weeds causing issues in farming" or "a disease, not horrid disease but something that affects a region strongly." 

the good thing IMO is that from what I understand the Sholai continent is an archipelago of many big islands. So, containing the disaster should be easier in that case. It would affect fewer people. 

I recall some of the extra content from GF1:M strongly hinted that civilizations before the shapers had risen and fallen with that knowledge. There's always a chance for people to blow the entire world back into the stone age and cause a technological reset again.

Was any of that in base GF1? I don't think so but I haven't played that in about 10-15 years.

3 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

I recall some of the extra content from GF1:M strongly hinted that civilizations before the shapers had risen and fallen with that knowledge. There's always a chance for people to blow the entire world back into the stone age and cause a technological reset again.

Was any of that in base GF1? I don't think so but I haven't played that in about 10-15 years.

Yeah the temple in the spirit city is where you about the past civilization 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

I think there's one reference of a proto-shaping, crude, unrefined technique, not civilizations raising and falling with that knowledge. I don't recall if that was someone trying to emulate the Shapers or some pre-Shaper civilization starting the research that eventually turned to the Shapers. I don't think it was "civilizations risen and fallen" in any case, I think it was either the proto-Shapers or someone trying crudely to emulate them. 

2 minutes ago, ultra112 said:

Yeah the temple in the spirit city is where you about the past civilization 

I don't recall this to be a civilization that has risen and fallen centuries before the Shapers, but more like the civilization that contributed to what eventually became the Shapers. 

Edited by alhoon