Favourite Avernum Game

Ah, such a classic topic. Though I see that you forgot to include Blades of Avernum in the poll...

A2, hands-down. It is the first of them that I played, so I just felt a lot more comfortable with it than A1. That, and A2 had cooler animations for spells and such.

A3 wasn't so great when compared to A2, claims of open-endedness aside. And A4, while an improvement over A3, still has a few problems of its own, which knocks it down below the level of A2.

I also say Avernum 2. It has some fairly important interface advancements over Avernum -- I really like seeing health bars on my opponents and having a quest list -- and has a better story than Avernum 3. Plus actually ending Avernum 3 was irritating.

And probably not least, Avernum 2 was the first SW game I played. wink

• 3 weeks later...

Avernum 2.

Avernum 1 is okay, but looking is a right pain in the, I use the mouse for everything :\

Avernum 3 was the first one I played andalso the first I won, but the first 2 main quests are way too easy, and all the quests aren't connected enough. I mean, you can win the game only completing 3 of the 5 main quests.:\

In Avernum 2 all the main quests blend together, and you have to play them all to win. Plus beast ceremony is dang useful, divine aid in A3 is so annoying only using it once a day smile

Avernum 1's plot: "Empire is evil. Kill demons. Kill emperor. Leave."

Avernum 2's plot: "Empire is evil-er. Meet the Walking McGuffins. Retrieve the Non-Walking McGuffins. Blow up portal. Kill demon-emperor."

Avernum 3's plot: "Empire is good-er. McGuffins are evil. McGuffins make plague. Kill plagues. Kill Queen McGuffin."

Avernum 4's plot: "McGuffins are evil-er. McGuffins make plagues again. Kill plagues again. Kill Queen McGuffin again. Kill Queen McGuffin again-again."

Where's the difference? A2. You're never going to be compelled to do anything very often in the Avernum universe, but from chapters 1-3 of the game, you will want to play because you don't know what will happen next. The endless waltz of "Kill, loot, sell" takes a backseat for a while as Jeff actually tells a compelling story, and the Vahnatai (before they too simply become another source for new monsters) are actually interesting.

And hell- even the gameplay in chapter 4 of the game is better than average in Avernum. The "plague" in this instance actually makes some sense, and the party takes a more lifelike (although still unreasonably powerful) role.

Some of the dungeons even have character. For instance, the Portal Fortress- that thing actually succeeded in giving off a feeling of bleakness (much moreso than Garzahd's fortress).

And okay- so combat in A2 gets stale relatively quickly, but that's the way things work in all of these games. A2 doesn't lose much on a comparative basis.

• 3 weeks later...

i understand you demo-playing guys. it took a long time between the demos and the cd-pack for me, and its really like this: the a3 demo is best, but the full a2 is best by far.

all the important reasons have been listed.

though i might add:

a2: what an atmosphere! phew!

all the others: what an atmosphere. pah.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
I remember using the "back to start" command after completing the demo of A2 as far as possible just to see what was beyond the barriers while waiting for the registration key. That one additional outdoor section my party could travel around (though I couldn't enter any towns) was fascinating.
I did the exact same thing, but I kept getting killed by the giants.