Has anyone survived killing Sulfras? It was a bit tough killing him (or her--can never keep dragon gender straight), I couldn't attack his guards--when I went to where they were casting spells at me, insteading of being able to attack, I was just blocked. One of them, though, at some point did become a regular stone statue (was that Erika's spy?), which I could attack.

Are the guards (black shades?) attackable if you do something first? Can they be targeted with spells (since there are no area spells in A1)?

No, Black Shades cannot be targetted with anything but physical attacks. If they're in impassable terrain, I'm afraid you get to experience the dubious joys of feeling many, many spells with no chance of retaliation.

—Alorael, who never succeeded in killing Sulfras. He never tried very hard to off her, either. Call him crazy, but he doesn't like killing dragons. Too much work for a quick reload.

Quote:
Originally written by Angry Ogre:
Avernum 3 is better for dragon kiling. If the dragons were human characters i think i would feel less remorse in killing them. Strange...
dragons are superior to humans. Killing them is wrong. More wrong than wiping out an entire city full of friendly demons, just for the heck of it.(which, in my book, is one of the worst things one can do). Let's just leave it at that. @________@

dragons r damn cool.they do deserve all they get, except being killed off. of course they have every right to be arrogant.its jus how they r. like humans...u would be arrogant if u vere one of the last surviving of ur species...after a LOT of time. an they can an many humans r arrogant as well.eg. hawthorne 2?get the point? so actually it depends on how u look at the fact that they r impressive,powerful,wise and all round net. atleast thts how i see it.

• 4 years later...

I was incensed at Sulfras' haughtiness, and slew the beast. Beast ceremony + divine warrior on my two fighters + arcane shield on my priest and mage to prevent the black shades from being too annoying. Once he's dead, he casts a level 6 dread curse on you, which is easily fixed back in the tower of magi. Unfortunately, those black shades are there permanently, which is a flaw in my mind. Without Sulfras there to hold them there, what's their point? Kind of makes going to the final gauntlet a pain.

Originally Posted By: monolith94
Unfortunately, those black shades are there permanently, which is a flaw in my mind. Without Sulfras there to hold them there, what's their point? Kind of makes going to the final gauntlet a pain.

Come to think of it, you could probably lure some summoned monsters next to the platform and cast wall of blades. Of course, since you don't want to attack your own summons, you'd have to do this BEFORE killing Sulfras.

The easiest way to find a black shade is often to wait for it to cast Slow and keep an eye on where the beam originates. Then you can hunt the sucker down and make it die a slow death.

—Alorael, who considers it slow selective pressure to evolve black shades that aren't so eager to spam irritating Slow spells.

Originally Posted By: Bureau of Police
The easiest way to find a black shade is often to wait for it to cast Slow and keep an eye on where the beam originates.

And of course it will generally be occupying the empty space in the middle of the pack of critters it summons.

Anyway, none of this helps in Mr. Lee's situation--too bad! frown

More research on this topic:

After killing Sulfras, which dread cursed me, I left to go cure it. Came back to raid the treasure, each chest that I opened dread cursed me! Ended up with twelve points of Dread Curse laugh

Also, engaging Sulfras' pillar black shades in combat and then sneaking into his treasure lair seemed to lead some of the pillar shades away from their pillars. And yet, even after this, I wasn't allowed to strike them? Bosses shouldn't have goons in their service that are harder to kill than they are!!!