Newest version of Avernum for PC?

Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry if this was asked before. I haven't found any solid info on this after a while in Google and these forums.

I'm looking to purchase and play the Avernum games for PC. Thing is, I don't see info on the version of Avernum 1 on sale in Steam/GoG. I can see here in spiderwebsoftware.com that the demos for mac and pc has different versions, so am I right to assume they didn't develop the latest remake for pc?

If so, where can I buy it?

Thanks in advance.

The latest remake (titled Avernum: Escape from the Pit, to be unambiguous) was released on both PC and Mac. The differing version numbers between the PC and Mac releases mean different versions of the same game, not that they're different games.

There are two reasons the PC and Mac releases have different versions: First, the Mac release came out a few months before the PC release, and it received a patch before the PC release (so Mac version 1.0.1 is (more or less) equivalent to PC version 1.0, and Mac version 1.0.2 is equivalent to PC version 1.0.1). Then, several years after release, the Mac version received an update (version 1.1) to move it to a 64-bit engine, ahead of Apple dropping support for 32-bit programs. So, while the PC release of A:EftP is on version 1.0.1, and the Mac version is on 1.1, they are fundamentally the same game, in basically the same state.

Anywhere you buy Avernum: Escape from the Pit- direct from the Spiderweb website, or from Steam or GOG- you'll receive both the PC and Mac versions of the game.

Edited by googoogjoob

You can look up version information and a brief description of changes by going to the specific game page at the Spiderweb Software site from the link at the top of this page. The information is given on the game's Support Page.

Only a few times is there a severe bug that prevents you from still playing an older game version.

If you buy the game from a third party site like Steam, there may be a short delay in their updating their site if the change is recent.

Enjoy playing.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. We are collecting fort our older members. :)

5 hours ago, DoctorDoodles said:

Yep, but the download link doesn't work.

Also, the instructions seem impossible to follow with the GOG version. I don't see the "Resources" folder.

Hi!

This is really interesting... the download link does still work, but I had to copy and paste the URL into a new tab to make it work.  I guess the server doesn't like direct links from the new forum software for some reason.

IIRC the GOG version did not exist way back when I wrote that.  I would expect it to work fine, just like the Steam version, but can't vouch for it.

If you're on a mac, you will need to use the part of the instructions that say "in the application package itself."  Right-click on the app, and pick the option to "open application package" (or something like that... it's been a while since I've done this).

Alternately, it's possible that the GOG version somehow stores the resource files someplace else.  But I don't have it, so I can't help.  If you're on PC and can't find them, copy the name of one of the text files in the zip and try doing a search for that file name.  All the files have identical names as the ones they replace, so you should be able to find it that way.

Good luck!