That's gratitude for you...

Hi all!

Minor Spoiler Alert: So I've just started Avernum 2, just finished the Nephilim Castle, and just dispatched the Chieftain. I rushed down to the prison to free Arum, where he was supposed to be waiting in his cell after telling me he'd stay right there until the Cheiftain was no more. But the cell's empty. Maybe I left the door opened and he tried to sneak out while I was doing all the work? I looked all over the castle, exited the castle and revisted the prison hoping he'd respawn, but he's gone. Where the flip did he go? How now can I get the reputation point I hear he was supposed to give for saving him?

PS: Spiderweb support, if I send you a copy of my game-save file to verify what I'm saying, can you tweek it to stick him back in his cell?

I haven't heard of this happening before.  Arum won't leave on his own, but many NPCs wander around a little.  If you left the door open and left guards alive somewhere in the vicinity of the cells, I guess you could have had the ill luck of Arum and a guard somehow ending up in each other's line of sight, at which point the guard would attack and probably kill Arum.

If you didn't do either of those things, then how this could happen is a bit of a mystery.

Either way, this is probably a good reminder to keep multiple save files...