Having much trouble

Noman

A shaper on Normal difficulty with 3 cryoas and 1 drayk. At level 14 with all creations built up as far as I can go. It is very hard to get any experience now because I am too advance for most enemies. Even the Sholai give only a little experience. Finally got Airshock but it seems to be rather useless as it only does very small damage over a large area, nice for killng low level enemies but get no experience. Just found an area call 'Front Gate' and was slaughtered by many high level Sholai.  To all you people banging through this game on torment--How do you do it?  I'm bored killing tons of enemies for no experience. Thank you.

You need to find other areas to explore that will still give experience and some quests. Try heading west. There should some places where you can fight and gain some experience.

The Front Gate is a hard area and is meant to be avoided. If you joined the Taker faction, then you can walk in, but otherwise you can get overwhelmed at the gate as Shoiai pour out unless you can keep hitting them with area effect attacks.

Airshock and other attack spells aren't as useful to Shapers because you put points in Shaping skills and not the ones to increase magic damage. This game rewards specialization and not being able to do most things.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Randomizer said:

You need to find other areas to explore that will still give experience and some quests. Try heading west. There should some places where you can fight and gain some experience.

The Front Gate is a hard area and is meant to be avoided. If you joined the Taker faction, then you can walk in, but otherwise you can get overwhelmed at the gate as Shoiai pour out unless you can keep hitting them with area effect attacks.

Airshock and other attack spells aren't as useful to Shapers because you put points in Shaping skills and not the ones to increase magic damage. This game rewards specialization and not being able to do most things.

Good luck.

Thank you. But it looks like I'm going to need a great many levels. 

You don't need that many levels. My latest torment character ended at level 18.

I think airshock is very good, even for shapers. The stun chance is the same regardless of how many points you have in battle magic. The base damage is also perfectly acceptable even if you don't have a bunch of bonuses. Dominate is probably even more useful though.

Edited by Mechalibur

On 12/18/2022 at 1:23 AM, Mechalibur said:

You don't need that many levels. My latest torment character ended at level 18.

I think airshock is very good, even for shapers. The stun chance is the same regardless of how many points you have in battle magic. The base damage is also perfectly acceptable even if you don't have a bunch of bonuses. Dominate is probably even more useful though.

Thank you for everyone's help.  I am out west now but it seems like I only have two choices:  Kill hordes of enemies for very little experience or go east and get killed by the Sholai supermen. Maybe I should try the Agent to see if there are any powerful spells available to them. The Sholai seem to have the best of everything and my top of the line creations just get destroyed quickly. Daze and Air Shock are useless except on low level enemies--I have tried them many times. Maybe an Agent has some abilities to counter the Super Sholai?  Or maybe I am just a bad player. But I have tried over and over with different tactics to no avail!  Frustrated!