Geneforge features in Avernum 4

I'm not a fan of any of the Geneforges so I don't want to see most of that ruining Avernum 4 for me. The only thing from that list that would be a good addition would be item crafting but it's not really that big of a deal anyway. I don't think that things from the Avernum series and the Geneforge series should be mixed at all because theres a lot of people who like one series and not the other.

Especially since you're in the minority here.

None of the Geneforge traits bowl me over, but item crafting has some potential. A little bit of it appeared in A3, too, so it's not all that unlikely.

Real-time exploration, no outdoors, and character classes are on my death list.

—Alorael, who would rather see a Nethergate-style game with two almost entirely different plots based on factions than Geneforge-style cosmetic factions.

The weight/AP thingy in the poll. I like the idea of being able to carry more junk around. But I should suffer for it by having it all shed from my inventory when I start combat, plus the pain of not being able to act until the 2nd round.

Now that would be realistic.

*this message is wavering on the screen like a mirage*

Although I like many of the Geneforge elements, I'd prefer Avernum 4 to remain as Avernumy as possible. I like both engines for different reasons, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. Oranges and apples.

But there are a few things that would cross over well—how weight is handled, item crafting, and character types, for instance.

Reputation in the Avernum games works similarly to leadership in Geneforge (even though it's not a trainable skill) inasmuch as you have to have a certain level of it in order for people to react to you differently and let you do things.

Most of the decent things are already in the Avernum TrSeries.Geneforge series and Avernum series are too difffrent from one anotehr to really work properly.

Sorry if my post is a bit weird and garbled, but I can;t actually SEE waht I'm typing (I'm havg computer problems)

SO yeah, I went for leadership (which could influence rep maybe somehow, and what i definitely don't want is to take the outdoors away. It;'s an intregal part of Avernum.Exile, and NEEDS to reamin.

- Micael

Don't want: lack of grid system, which leads to blocked routes for no good reason; the combat action point system, what exactly are you supposed to do when your turn comes round, and you only have 1 or 2 APs, it's insulting.

Do want: some of the creatures and spells (e.g. steel skin) could be transferred into Avernum. Plus the special effects for essence orbs and aura of flames are cool. Also, it would be interesting to add a personality penalty to your party for learning L3 spells (similar to the effect for canisters in GF).

By that reasoning, you should be penalized for every skill you boost, every spell and recipe you learn, and so on. Sometimes fun has to reign over morals.

—Alorael, who thinks finding those level 3 spells can be punishment enough. You don't need to be penalized for finding secrets.

For normal training you have to expend skill points and/or coins to improve your PCs. Whereas L3 spells are typically found "lying around" in dungeons.

It really is very similar to GF2/3. You can obtain up to 2 levels in each spell/ability by paying a trainer. You don't need any more than that, but if you wish you can further boost the skill by seeking out and finding free magic books/canisters. It seems reasonable to suggest that there should be some consequences for making that choice.

On occasions A3 has already done something similar - in order to get dispel barrier L3, you must commit a crime.

Actually he says you are free to look through his library, just don't take any of the books out of the library so it wouldn't be a crime if you read the book then leave it there. The crime part is the guy who asks you to steal it for him for a quest with the reward of 2 points of resistance.