Question on experience system

actionrpg8k

Big fan of both Avernum remakes and Avadon games, playing both series on iPad. I understand that Queen’s Wish doesn’t give xp for killing enemies, but rather for completing quests and objectives. Can someone explain how exactly that works? For example, is the experience gained for quests the same no matter what? So if you manage to go straight to the “boss” and win, it would be the same as clearing the whole dungeon?

There isa fixed amount if experience for a quest like clearing a dungeon. Once the objective is completed  by dealing with boss and some don't require killing  the boss. Some require also reporting back to someone that sat you, but that isn't always true. The only advantage to completely clearing a dungeon is extra loot and resources that usually disappear after the boss fight and your returning. Some dungeons it pays to clear the side passages for loot and returning later when you head straight for the boss.

There are other things that give minor experience like solving puzzles and sending locals to a rebuilt fort to join.

Good luck.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It will only confuse you. :)

Thanks for the reply. I may sit this one out. I know not everyone will agree, but I don’t like the idea of a standard xp amount that the player has no control over. Makes it feel like more of an adventure game, rather than an rpg. I understand that Jeff wanted to discourage grinding, but the idea of fighting battles for no benefit other than advancing the story isn’t for me.

3 hours ago, actionrpg8k said:

I may sit this one out. I know not everyone will agree, but I don’t like the idea of a standard xp amount that the player has no control over. Makes it feel like more of an adventure game, rather than an rpg.

Certainly your choice but try to approach it from the angle of being a member of the royal family.  You should be concerned with more strategic thinking rather than the more tactical xp chasing.  It won't change the way the game is played/what you have to do, but you might convince yourself not to worry about not getting anything (perhaps a little gold) when some spiders drop down on you while you're strolling along a road.

QW is like pretty much every other SW game, story driven when you step back & look at it.  QW has plenty of rpg aspects (although your point about an adventure game does certainly have some validity), but you 'are' supposed to approach it differently than either Avernum or Avadon (keeping strategic goals in the back of your mind throughout).  You also may want to try again/stick with it as the next game that SW is bringing out is QW2 & it will be another year or two beyond that before Jeff's back to a more traditional rpg (Geneforge 2 remake if he stays on what he says he wants to do).  That would be a long time to go without a 'new Spiderweb game' fix...

Anyway, welcome & hopefully you'll try again.  It's not like other SW games (or traditional 'go clear this dungeon' rpgs), but I found it an enjoyable/worthwhile investment of my goofing off/gameplaying time.