can't increase skills in A3

smowie

i am playing Avernum 3 v1.1.1 and I have found that after the initial character creation, I can no longer increase my skills either thru training when i have gold or through skill points when i gain a level. the arrows to improve skills just do not appear. i have quit and relaunched the game to no avail. I also tried v1.1.3 beta and the problem seems to remain. please advise...

i am on os x 10.2.2

Yes, I am in the same room as the trainer, and a I see a train button next to my character. When I press it I see that I have 125 coins at the bottom, so it's not that I lack money, but there are no arrows to the right of the skills to increase them.

It also doesn't allow me to increase skills when I have gained a level. My characters are all up to level 3 and show 16 skill points in the lower area, but again no arrows are available to allocate those points to my skills.

Try gaining a few levels and giving yourself 15000 coins with the character editor. Then go to the trainer. If there are still no arrows, all I can suggest is trying to redownload the game.

—Alorael, who thinks it sounds a little bit like you're trying to increase skills at the trainer with gold or anywhere with skill points. To train, you need to have both gold and skill points, and you must be at the trainer.

Aha, I thought that you could gain skill by skill points OR training, and didn't realize you only can apply your skill points through training. I don't think the instructions are too clear on this point. Now reading it again I see it sort of indicates that, but since it is different from other RPGs in this regard it isn't too intuitive. Anyway, I am in the training area with gold and skill points now, and I see the arrows to increase... thanks!