Clever ideas I thought would work but they didn't in Avernum 2: Fort Haledon, serpent cult

• In the serpent cult, I had the bright idea that if I sanctified the altar, I wouldn't have to fight worms when I got upstairs, since after all the altar controls the worms. Nope.
  • In Fort Haledon, I figured if I get through to the commander without killing any vahnatai, they'll stop attacking me. So I used daze adrenaline rush to run past everyone and get to the office and show the commander my orders. He's very embarrassed, but the vahnatai keep attacking me. So I run and escape town--in the end, no casualties .But when I talk to the commander, he still says he's responsible for their deaths. I kind of feel like this should have gotten me an extra eight or so vahnatai when we attack the ziggurat but I guess that's overcomplicated.

Anyway, I guess there's a limit to how complicated the game's scripting can be, there can only be so many conditionals. Wondering if anyone else has had experiences like this.

There are several scripted fights where you think you can do it differently, but you aren't able to do it. Some occur because Jeff altered them in beta testing so you can't kill a monster or others where the script read unkillable until you are at a certain point in the game like in Avernum 4.

Enjoy trying to find a different way to do things and have extra saves from before when they don't work out.  :)

13 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

There are several scripted fights where you think you can do it differently, but you aren't able to do it. Some occur because Jeff altered them in beta testing so you can't kill a monster or others where the script read unkillable until you are at a certain point in the game like in Avernum 4.

Enjoy trying to find a different way to do things and have extra saves from before when they don't work out.  :)

Huh, that makes me wondering if killing the vanishing mage in Erika's tower is actually possible.

1 hour ago, waterstrider said:

Huh, that makes me wondering if killing the vanishing mage in Erika's tower is actually possible.

I think that one is extremely hard, but possible if you get enough damage in before he can flee the last time. That is one of the scripted fights where actions occur as damage reaches a certain level. You can do them when stun or slow prevents the final part of the script from occurring. Sometimes your attacks will cause two scripted actions to occur as you go past two damage break points in the script.