Price expectations for non-bundle games

KoalaLumpur

Hi, everyone! I'm a long-time fan of Spiderware Software games; I basically grew up on the Exile trilogy (plus Blades), Nethergate and the Geneforge series. I rediscovered Spiderware Software games for recently, and am finding them very therapeutic after buying the big bundle available on Steam. This was a phenomenal deal. There are so far no Spiderweb Software games that I don't like. (Of course some I like more than others, and I really missed the bestiary when Exile was updated to Avernum).

The three current generation games that are not included in that Bundle are Avernum 3, Queen's Wish, and Geneforge Mutagen. (I'm probably going to buy the GOG Avernum set to get Blades of Avernum, too, which seems to run on my computer). Having recently bought all that stuff, I have many, many hours of gameplay before I'm going to need to buy any of those. But I very likely will buy them at some point. (To be clear, here, I don't play computer games as a rule these days; but the Spiderweb Software games are so good that I make an exception)

The question is: when do people think the prices of those three games will drop? What's the timeframe? Don't get me wrong, they're well worth the price. But if I don't need to play them for a long time, there's not much point buying them now at a higher price, if the price is likely to drop in the near future. (Also, does anybody know why Mutagen is cheaper than the other two?)

8 minutes ago, KoalaLumpur said:

The question is: when do people think the prices of those three games will drop? What's the timeframe?

The pattern for the past decade or so (since Spiderweb started launching games on Steam at the same time as elsewhere) has been that Spiderweb games normally launch at $20, and then after some undefined period of time drop to $10 (except, perversely, if you buy them directly from Spiderweb- I guess nobody's thought to adjust the prices offered in the Humble widgets). Presently, the games running from Avadon 1 (2011) to Avadon 2 (2013) are $10, while the games from Avernum 2: Crystal Souls (2015) onward are still $20. (AFAIK, all prices are consistent between Steam and GOG.) So, if this pattern holds, Avernum 3: Ruined World will drop in price maybe three or four years from now, then Queen's Wish a year or so after that, and Geneforge 1: Mutagen about two years after that. That said, Spiderweb games start regularly going on sale for 50% off a year or so after release, and sometimes for 60% or 70% off a year or so after that.

18 minutes ago, KoalaLumpur said:

(Also, does anybody know why Mutagen is cheaper than the other two?)

It isn't. Mutagen just happens to be on sale on Steam at the moment.