Why wont my spells work

my characters in Avernum 1 cannot cast spells, i made custom characters and my third character was basically a healer. i have since added some points to mage skills and she cant use any. I dont understand, i thourght that it would be the same as exile that you know a large proportion of the early level spells.

p.s. no i am not dumbfounded

it can be useful, if youre one of those "i need no towns i just wander around in the wilderness adventuring for months" - type of player.

to me it seems that few people use alchemy though, some prefer to sell the ingredients, some dont care about them at all, and some keep them in their inventory for no reason like me.

hey also i was wondering, how long is the Avernum 1 shareware edition. Because i just purchased the Avernum box set and am waiting for it in the mail, so i wanted to get a head start.

Exile 3 shareware was huge, to finish off the slimes and the roaches and all of south valoriam was many hours.

But i was disapointed to find that in the first 30mins i hit a shareware barrier.......