Exile CD-ROM

Nepharim Mage

I originally played the Exile shareware version off of a MacAddict CD back in the mid-90s. I remember exploring as far as I could multiple times and then just being content to engage in multiple encounters because I was only 11 or 12, and had parents who didn't often indulge my desire for computer games. Same with Exile 2 and 3.

At some point, Jeff Vogel started selling a CD that had registered copies of all 3 games (plus Blades of Exile which I'm really bummed didn't take off), which I managed to get by leveraging my parents' guilt over getting divorced. I'd always preferred the older Exile and Exile II graphics and used ResEdit to put them into the newer versions, while enjoying the action point system and other improvements of the newer versions.

Unfortunately I lost it at some point, and haven't been able to find another copy online. Anyone have any ideas? Same with the Avernum CD-ROM, though with less urgency, since I have all of the remastered versions.

Edit: I want to be clear that I don't want downloads for the old files, which I can get, but the CD-ROM itself. Someone must have a copy they want to sell, right?

Edited by Nepharim Mage

I wonder what you mean by "didn't take off"? There are over 300 BoE scenarios and for many years the community was very active. As I understand it made Spiderweb Software quite a bit of money too, both from sales and from establishing a loyal fan community.

I have an Exile Trilogy CD, and I can probably sell it. I don't remember BoE ever being on the same CD as the Trilogy, someone who knows could correct me on that, but I have the BoE CD and hintbook too. Both discs are in excellent condition, with clamshell cases, and the BoE hintbook is in good condition. I've been trying to make a point of not getting emotionally attached to knick knacks. I guess if I do sell it I'd want the money through PayPal, if that works. DM me how I'd get it to you and how much you're willing to pay, and when it's not first thing in the morning and I'm awake and not cranky, we can try to figure something out. :)

And if you can't work things out with ADoS, I'm fairly sure that 'somewhere' around here (narrator: "It's in one of the many boxes of crap down in the basement...") I have that disk/hint book/etc.  It wouldn't be anytime soon (summer project is to sit in the cool of the basement with lots of trash bags/empty boxes for filling with stuff for goodwill/very few empty boxes for stuff I actually want to keep), but I can keep my eye out if needed.

Come to think of it, are we allowed to discuss this here? The rules forbid "unauthorized solicitation of other products". I'm not sure Spidweb CDs of freeware games are technically "other products" but I hope we're not infringing.

TriRodent, since you say you have the CD, I'm wondering, are you aware of there ever being a CD with all four Exile games? I don't want to sell Nepharim Mage something they don't want.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

I have no idea, it's been a couple of decades since I've had to install anything Exile related.  I just remember seeing a bunch of old computer games/booklets 'somewhere' within the past year or two & remember that there was a pile of SW related stuff in there.

(I'd assume that the "unauthorized solicitation of other products" is more to ban without warning the "click here to find out how to make $42/hr from home..." idiots/spammers.  Trading/selling SW related stuff might(?) be technically against the absolute interpretation of the rules, but as it's directly related to SW/their history ... it will probably be officially ignored if not outright given the ok - & if I'm wrong, I'm sure a mod will be along soon enough to clarify)

That clause actually came about due to people creating accounts here just to market other video games, without otherwise participating in the forums.  I don't think we've ever had to ban directly over it.

Anyway, Spiderweb CDs definitely aren't "other products."  Normally, re-selling Spiderweb games here would be a no, for obvious reasons.  Given that the CD's contents are no longer being sold and are freely available, I can't imagine anyone would object.

• 1 year later...

Hello.  Like Nepharim Mage, I too would like to own a copy of the CD with all three games on it.  I had a copy many years ago, but had to part with it when I moved during one of my "I'm broke, so I have to start over" periods.

If anyone has a copy they'd be willing to part with, I would be happy to buy it - for a reasonable price.

Edited by NTruths