Avernum General Discussion?

Thaeris

Hello Friends,

Just a general question about a general topic - at least here. In fact, I'm sure this question has been asked before, in some way or another!

Do we have an Avernum General Discussion area? Most of the time, Avernum questions get posted in the Avernum boards, which makes perfect sense. The problem becomes that there are... several boards now, as Avernum / Exile have been re-made several times! Therefore, general questions just related to the setting can get stuck in one of these boards, when the subject matter is really universal to Avernum or Exile at large - I've had several topics or posts like this. Consider that I live in the past, so I play the original (as far as remakes go) 90's / early 2000's games, and therefore post in those areas. New players probably play the new games. So, either my musings are just not interesting or worthwhile, or the sections of the forums I'm posting in just aren't really relevant. In any sense, with all the remakes of Avernum and Exile out there (and now Geneforge), will there ever be general series boards for games like these, or will there just continue to be a "choose which board you want to post a general topic in" and hope it sticks?

Probably just a 'choose where you want it to go' option.  Any new thread/post shows up on the 'recent posts' area (which is where I noticed this), so even if it's buried down in a relatively dead forum, people should notice it.  I really don't see a need/desire to add another forum that probably wouldn't get 'that' much traffic overall.

That said, your best bet for just general discussions is probably to put it into the most recent forum as that's where most people would stop by if they're looking for info on the more recent games.

Well, therefore... can I make a formal request?

Is it possible to get an Avernum General Discussion subforum in the General Discussion forum?

I recall a fellow was writing a very long - and pretty well written - fan fiction of a different region of the underworld. That was trapped in the original Avernum boards. A lot of my posts were again, really general. It would be pretty spiffy if there was a more appropriate spot to drop or move that stuff to that could work for everybody, regardless of the particular series of Exile or Avernum they happen to fancy the most. 😀

I'm not sure I understand what the actual benefit would be of separating out that content.  What's the harm in having it either in General (which isn't exactly overrun with posts these days) or the Avernum forum of your choice?  I think putting it in a new subforum would actually give it less exposure than it currently has, either in General or in the Avernum Remakes forum.

I'm also not sure there's even remotely enough of that content to justify separating it out.

If these boards were really busy with dozens of new threads (not posts, threads) every day, then I could maybe see a need for such a thing.  Here & now, it's not a bad idea per se, but there really isn't enough traffic that would bury those posts before people who only stop by every few months would see them if they wanted to scroll down the forum slightly.

18 hours ago, TriRodent said:

If these boards were really busy with dozens of new threads (not posts, threads) every day, then I could maybe see a need for such a thing.  Here & now, it's not a bad idea per se, but there really isn't enough traffic that would bury those posts before people who only stop by every few months would see them if they wanted to scroll down the forum slightly.

too bad that clock can't be turned back around 20 or more years, if it was possible then forums would be more lively.