Which Creations are canonically capable of speech?

We’ve seen a few creations capable of at least basic speech and I was wondering if I was missing any.

Obviously Drayks, Drakons, Serviles and Gazers/Eyebeasts are all capable but who else?

Thahds and Battle Alphas/betas definitely have some primitive speech abilities. I feel like I vaguely remember a Rhotgroth having dialogue in G4 but I could be mistaken. 

Am I missing any? Even if it’s just a joke/one off.

I don't recall Rotghroths/Rotdhizons having any coherent speech- IIRC there are places where they moan a few words incoherently, but, while they may have the mental capacity for speech, it's presumably pretty hard to express yourself lucidly while your jaw is rotting off.

I don't recall any instances of them talking, but I think it's reasonable to assume that War Tralls are capable of speech, given that they're developed from Battle Alphas.

18 hours ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

Servant Minds speak.

Ah how could I forget about everyone’s favorite pig computers.

Are there any ornks that speak? Even if it’s just in a bonus zone/Easter egg.

And I suppose shades count as well as in at least one game they’re described as being created by shapers using essence and they can certainly speak with some pre recorded messages.

You are totally correct. I had the quest and just went and found said ornk

“As you try to corner it, the ornk begins to speak! Its bleating speech is crude, but you can understand it. “Hellllp me! Heklllllp meeeee!”

and then later

”It begins to speak, carefully and painfully extracting words from a throat and lungs not designed to provide them. It says “nooo gooooo. Leave me alooone. Nooo die”

The ornk is suprised and touched you would ignore the laws of the shapers on its behalf. A single tear rolls down it’s pink fuzzy faze. “Yoooou help me? There is hooooope for ornks and two-legs after all. Thank yoooou. Thank yoooooou”

Could any creation be given speech abilities in theory? Perhaps not something like a claw bug but really how much of a jump would a talking Fyora be considering drayks/drakons?

Edited by Foyra12

On 5/10/2021 at 6:53 AM, googoogjoob said:

I don't recall Rotghroths/Rotdhizons having any coherent speech- IIRC there are places where they moan a few words incoherently, but, while they may have the mental capacity for speech, it's presumably pretty hard to express yourself lucidly while your jaw is rotting off.

I don't recall any instances of them talking, but I think it's reasonable to assume that War Tralls are capable of speech, given that they're developed from Battle Alphas.

I think the Rotdhizon in GF2 was able to speak in a primitive way, but I may be wrong. Also, it may have been retro-ed in later games even if that was the case since GF2 was the first game that introduced Rotdhizons. 

As for Rotgroth's rotting... aside of the name, I don't recall them rotting. The smell of rot-and-vinegar is what Essence smells like I think. 

Rotghroths are the way they are because they aren't fully immune to their own caustic secretions. They're just tough enough to be able to survive with most of their surface constantly melting off, and the really important parts(like eyes and internal organs) are presumably more protected. Really sucks to be a rotghroth. Though I think they're, by necessity, also made immune to most pain? They're like giant acidic lepers, or something.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

bump here. Finished replaying GF3 and on the second to last island, there's a Rotghroth in an underground area that can -talk-

Was combing the replies to see if anyone mentioned that. Can't wait for this winter when I'm laid off so I can binge all the Geneforge games again!