Save error ? Help!

I am in the middle of a playthrough , enjoying it thoroughly by the way, took about a week off , came back to the game and i cant save . I get a message that reads " Save Error: Couldn't open the header file."  When I quit it reads " Couldn't write preferences file." If some one could please help me as I am in the middle of  play through I am really enjoying , I would be very grateful. And before any one asks yes I did verify and repair already.

If the game is still open from where you left it, can you leave the zone you're in?  The game should auto save at that point.

If not, can you load an earlier/auto save?  Have you completely closed the game & restarted?  Have you rebooted the computer?

Thus ends the extent of any tech help I might give...alas.  Thankfully though there are people much brighter about such things than me who will probably be along shortly.

Another question is where did you buy the game? If from Spiderweb site then the problem is with the game or the computer. If from a third party site like Steam, then they add their own layer of software that can sometimes cause problems.

Writing to the preference file sounds like a game problem. I've seen that once, but restarting the game fixed it even though lot the save.

1 hour ago, Randomizer said:

Another question is where did you buy the game? If from Spiderweb site then the problem is with the game or the computer. If from a third party site like Steam, then they add their own layer of software that can sometimes cause problems.

Writing to the preference file sounds like a game problem. I've seen that once, but restarting the game fixed it even though lot the save.

Wait what? I have it from steam!!! Will I lose my saves too? It loads fine for me so far, but I don't want to lose my saves regardless

1 hour ago, CafeSpy said:

Well, the whiskey helped a little . 

I didn't notice earlier that that was your initial post...reading further down though I've come to the conclusion that you'll fit in well with us reprobates... (hoists my rum & coke off in your general direction)

Post 2 is helpful.  Is it a specific save location that's the problem (can you save in a different save slot & it works or are 'all' saves corrupted?).  As you got it from GOG, try downloading it again & reinstalling.  Doing so 'shouldn't' overwrite your saved game files...but before doing so, copy that whole folder elsewhere/rename it so that you have a backup (with a Windows system it's in your 'Documents' folder under Spiderweb Software.  Apple I'm not sure but a search in this subforum should find it)

Ok I tried deleting and reloading the game . Didn't work . I've noticed I'm able to save and overwrite in other save slots . The first save slot , Quick save and Autosave slots are all giving me those error messages when I try to overwrite them . However , the mystery is  I can load the game from either of those spots so this makes absolutely no sense. The only change to my computer in the last week was a nvidia graphics driver update.

Also when i quit the game from the Title screen so, no save necessary it gives me the " Couldn't write preference file " error message before exiting.

Edited by CafeSpy

• 1 year later...
  1. A key symptom of the OP's problem is that he can't save the preferences file. I had the same problem initially. Whitelisting "geneforge mutagen" with his antivirus software should fix the problem.
  2. The developers really should reconsider the file location for saves and settings. Computer security has evolved. My Documents now has a level of security that is not needed for games. A well designed game should not require whitelisting.
  3. Frequently the game gets into a state where it can't open the header file for saves. Normal saves, quicksaves, and autosaves don't work. Overwriting old saves doesn't work. This makes the game essentially unplayable. I am playing the Epic Games version in case that matters.
Edited by Biggus

On 7/1/2022 at 11:39 AM, Biggus said:
  1. A key symptom of the OP's problem is that he can't save the preferences file. I had the same problem initially. Whitelisting "geneforge mutagen" with his antivirus software should fix the problem.
  2. The developers really should reconsider the file location for saves and settings. Computer security has evolved. My Documents now has a level of security that is not needed for games. A well designed game should not require whitelisting.
  3. Frequently the game gets into a state where it can't open the header file for saves. Normal saves, quicksaves, and autosaves don't work. Overwriting old saves doesn't work. This makes the game essentially unplayable. I am playing the Epic Games version in case that matters.

how did you whitelist the game?

i use the epic version(or at least try to use it) and i can't save at all

Press command, type "virus" into the search box, and then select "Virus and Threat Protection"

Under "Virus and Threat Protection Settings," click on "manage settings"

Scroll down to "Exclusions" and click on "Add or Remove Exclusions"

After that it's self-explanatory. If you want to confirm the process name press ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the process manager. Or just whitelist "geneforge mutagen"