A3:RW. I forget if this game gets more difficult

I'm replaying this game and I'm at a point where it feels too easy. I'm only playing on hard. I am almost at the filth factory and there isn't much challenge to the fights anymore. I forget if the difficulty ramps up again or just stays steady easyish.

I suppose i could just start over on torment, just to see how that goes. I have a mental image in my head of torment being too hard though.

You could just change it to torment right now & see if that's better. 

But iirc, you're just at that place in the game where things are going to plateau for a while.  You aren't going to be strong enough to take on the trogolos or giants yet so you'll need to do lots of running around on the 'perimeter' (Golddale's problems, stuff along the southern coast, avoiding big fights while getting to Moon, Spineridge, Gale, etc).  So go exploring, maybe go have a real nice sword made for your fighter, talk to the dragons, etc.  Once you can clean out the trogolo temple without too much problem...then you're ready for the next 'step'

The first part in Avernum is supposed to be easy on any difficulty except for a few fights. Where you are can be hard if you aren't stocked up with potions to help get through the Filth Factory's lower level. After that the difficulty ramps up because you have more one way dungeons that don't let you back out after a few fights to recuperate.

Torment  and hard (veteran) are harder in the remakes because you can now do friendly fire with area effect attacks and monsters get extra abilities for their attacks.

I would feel weird changing the difficulty in the middle of the game. It just doesn't sit right with me. I started over on Torment and it is quite the challenge, but doable so far. I have thoughts, or aspirations to have finished all the Avernum games on Torment or the equivalent.

For a reference, or something. The first time I played EFTP, it was on normal. In my recent replaying, I went with hard. It was more difficult than I expected. I made it work in the end, but I had to fight for progress. The first time with CS, I restarted partway to start over on hard and finished it. In my replay, hard was fairly easy except for some spots.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trudging along on torment. That start of the game was really rough. Things got easier as I progressed. The giant/Troglodyte plague was actually quite easy. I kept checking options to make sure the difficulty was still set to torment.

I kind of hit a wall though. A golem shaped wall. The elemental golems can take out most of my party in two or three cone attacks. Should I have invested in hardiness for everyone? I'd find it hard to decide on what to not put points into so I could have gone into hardiness. My spell casters have maxed resistance. Ward of elements doesn't help too much.

It was the cold/fire of the golems that was getting me. I realized hardiness helps with that, so in a new build I'd try to give hardiness to everyone. I also want to try getting adrenaline rush for my spell casters. For now though, I'm giving Avernum 2 a try on Torment. The river run was tough at times and I had to leave some things behind, but I made it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 9:20 PM, Chopkinsca said:

Yep. I did load a save and set the difficulty to casual so I could see what I missed. I didn't find anything super important, so it was all good.

yea no anything super important besides those metal thingies. also few caches and outside of building which hero/heroes will find near endgame.