Allied with Obeyers, feeling a bit lost

Maybe more experienced players can help me with suggestions. So far I've covered the Awakened area until they said they had nothing more to offer me. Then moved to Pentil where I felt so flattered that I decided to help the Obeyers. Did a few missions and made sure to let them know I was by their side, however I did not get more missions from them, so I went East and a bit north as you can see in the map:

My current map

I am now in Kazg (only talked to Gnorrel, most of the town still unexplored) but am not sure I want to join them, hence therefore they are not giving me any info or missions... 

Areas to the north are the ones I felt should be visited when I am more powerful or am I wrong? 

I thought that by siding with the Obeyers I could stick to them pretty much till the end of the game but it looks like now I cannot progress further unless I side with the Takers? or maybe I should just explore the areas in red because they are not as hard as I think?

I'd appreciate any input,

thanks a lot in advance!

The areas to the east are somewhat easy or heading straight north from Pentil for a few zones.  Joining a faction like the Obeyers gives you information about where to go, so talk to Rydell about your path and he tells you about strangers east of Kazg. There are plenty of things to fight so your path is easier for some that like combat or other routes are better for mechanics and stealth.

Just make different saves and see what happens when you enter a zone. There isn't a right answer, but some places are really hard at this point so consider them the wrong way to go,

2 hours ago, Randomizer said:

The areas to the east are somewhat easy or heading straight north from Pentil for a few zones.  Joining a faction like the Obeyers gives you information about where to go, so talk to Rydell about your path and he tells you about strangers east of Kazg. There are plenty of things to fight so your path is easier for some that like combat or other routes are better for mechanics and stealth.

Just make different saves and see what happens when you enter a zone. There isn't a right answer, but some places are really hard at this point so consider them the wrong way to go,

Thanks so much Randomizer, you have saved me with valuable info or contributions to these forums in the past, I remember your name. My respects! -and gratitude. I will go north of Pentil I just realized I've been lazy in that area 😛

You don't necessarily need to ally with anybody. I completed both the original Geneforge and Mutagen without joining any faction. Joining just gives you a few nice goodies and can boost your experience with a few quests. Who you join is more like a test of character that shapes later events in the game. Each choice comes with its own benefits and challenges.

Some tips:

• Talk to everybody. See if they need help (will offer you a quest). The experience from quests is important. Getting some quests requires really exploring every option in a character's dialog
  • Go wherever you can without suffering a quick death. Some zones are easier for those with good combat skills, some zones are easier for those with high Mechanics, etc. So, it takes experimentation to find what path through the game will work best for your character.

I have played this game and the original several times, and I find that I nearly always reach a point two or three times in a playthrough where I feel kind of stuck, and not sure where to go next. When that happens, there are some things I try:

• Go to some of the places you have been, and make sure you didn't miss something. Talk to people again and make sure you did not miss any quests. Maybe you did not have enough leadership the first time you talked to someone.
  • Check your quest list to be sure there is not something you finished but did not go back and report to the quest giver.
  • Check unexplored areas in places that are green on the map. Just because the area is green doesn't mean you have finished with it. You might find a person or item you missed before. In your case, be sure talk to the other people in Kazg. Offhand, I can think of two other quests you can pick up without joining the Takers.
  • Keep trying all the places that you have not been. You might find an area that was too dangerous before, but now that you have gained a level or two, it might not be so hard.

I agree with stilltim - joining a sect is much overrated. The biggest difference is in the narrative in the ending sequence. The only time it really makes much difference is if you are trying to play as a pacifist. I won't say it is impossible, but I can't imagine finishing the game as a pacifist without joining the Takers. But I digress. 

Good luck! hope this helps.

2 hours ago, stilltim said:

Talk to everybody.

I completely agree ... but  ... let's refine it a bit. Talk to everybody with a unique name.  Talking to generic town guards or farmers beyond the first time just to see if/what amusing thing Jeff put in as their dialogue. Beyond that though, they don't give out quests or impact the game other than background color.

* There's no day counter/time limit to the game & foes tend not to repopulate an area (for most areas anyway).  So use that to your advantage.  If clearing a zone is too hard at the moment, nibble away at it with hit & run tactics.  ALWAYS make sure that you have a clear path back out of the zone & then try to isolate one of the zone's monsters & pour damage onto him/her/it.  Kill it, get a little experience & run like hell to the exit, go to the nearest village to recharge & then go back & do it again a little deeper into the zone. (but like Ranomizer said, some zones just aren't possible at this point in your game so don't worry about them for now).

* I too tended not to join any particular sect.  That allowed me to play the "hmmm, let me think about your ideas' card without having to align myself with anyone/annoy the others.

*think of the zone map as a series of concentric circles radiating out from the arrival docks.  You should be able to clear/survive the immediately adjacent zones.  From there you can do the next adjacent zones, etc.  As long as you stay more or less within the expanding circle, you should be able to keep going (the exceptions will immediately be obvious).  Driving too deeply in one direction without doing the adjacent zones (say going north out of Pentil 4-5 zones in a straight line) will eventually get you in over your head.

Have fun