Bug? Cannot equip an item when I have the 'minimum training'.

You can still use the Charmed Plate for all its skill enhancing benefits - it just doesn't help you meet the requirement for what weapons you equip. If you use the plate to give you the skill to equip the singing rapier, and then remove the plate - what happens to the rapier? Are you left with a weapon you can't use? This could be ugly in the middle of a battle. The simplest solution is to use only native skills when deciding what weapon you can equip. Then you are not faced with a dilemma when removing a skill-enhancing item. I'm guessing that's the logic behind it - at any rate, it makes sense to me.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:02 PM, Ociporus said:

Thanks for confirming. That is a weird game decision -- Using the Charmed Plate enables one to DOMINATE when they cannot otherwise. Oh well.

I am unable to reproduce the circumstances where the Charmed Plate enables DOMINATE. Any information on how to do that?

Thanks in advance!!

1] Have the Dominate spell

2] Have 1 or 2 points less Mental magic than the dominate spell requires. (i.e. at least 1 point in mental magic.)

3] Equip charmed plate

4] Cast dominate.

I haven't tried this with Charmed Plate, but my Shaper spent much of the mid-game only able to cast spells thanks to the Vlish skin tunic and Carnelian gloves.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:01 AM, ZorroDragonslayer said:

am unable to reproduce the circumstances where the Charmed Plate enables DOMINATE. Any information on how to do that?

Thanks in advance!!

Iguana is right.

If you have 1 or two points Mental Magic, put on the charmed plate, then you have the 3 needed to cast Dominate.

Take off the charmed plate, and you cannot Dominate.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:59 AM, Magenta said:

The simplest solution is to use only native skills when deciding what weapon you can equip.

Simplest, but not the most logical. What is the point of the special items that enhance melee /missile if they do not enable you to use what you otherwise could not? It is logical that when items boost your melee sufficiently, you should be able to wield special weapons. And if you reduce, then 'cannot use the rapier'. I suppose the dev didn't want to have to trap this possibility and so took the easier route in programming. But since there already is obviously code to see that situation (not high enough skill) then it could probably have been applied in this situation too.

And, the Charmed Plate DOES make DOMINATE possible when it would otherwise not (for example).

Edited by Ociporus
clarification

1 hour ago, Ociporus said:

And, the Charmed Plate DOES make DOMINATE possible when it would otherwise not (for example).

Maybe I do not understand the problem. The original question asked about equipping the singing rapier, which does require minimum melee skill. I did not think you needed a minimum skill of any kind to equip the charmed plate - just the strength to carry the weight.

There used to be a bug in older games where you could increase a skill to equip an item and then use the editor to lower that skill to use the points elsewhere. It's because the game only checks when you equip and not constantly rechecking afterwards.

Weight only means you lose action points if you exceed your carrying  capacity. So you can wear heavier armor if you don't mind limited movement.