Nobody home?

Noman

I got to the Barren Research area and was greeted as usual by hostility.  Killed a few serviles and went a little further only to be murdered by a gonzo named Alonzo. I went away to stock up on stuff to hurt him came back and won- barely!  Alonzo was worse than any monster in the game. Anyway I went to talk to the Mind then over to the Ascended Hall. A voice greeted me and wanted to talk but there was no  one there. Anywhere. Where is he?

1 hour ago, Noman said:

I got to the Barren Research area and was greeted as usual by hostility.  Killed a few serviles and went a little further only to be murdered by a gonzo named Alonzo. I went away to stock up on stuff to hurt him came back and won- barely!  Alonzo was worse than any monster in the game. Anyway I went to talk to the Mind then over to the Ascended Hall. A voice greeted me and wanted to talk but there was no  one there. Anywhere. Where is he?

Um, do you have a save before entering that area? Ascended Alonzo is part of an interesting quest line, that starts w/ a different Ascended in an area just to the E of the Inutile Village near Ellhrah's Keep. Once you get the item Randomizer noted above in that area, the serviles won't be hostile to you any longer. The Servant Mind has his own somewhat related quest line.

21 minutes ago, BenS said:

Um, do you have a save before entering that area? Ascended Alonzo is part of an interesting quest line, that starts w/ a different Ascended in an area just to the E of the Inutile Village near Ellhrah's Keep. Once you get the item Randomizer noted above in that area, the serviles won't be hostile to you any longer. The Servant Mind has his own somewhat related quest line.

Looks like I should have gone to the Ascended Lab first but it is too late now. I do not have a save.  Actually I forgot about that Lab. I see that I shouldn't have killed Alonzo but he left me no choice since I didn't have the feather. Wish I had known this. I hate missing things. Thanks anyway.

5 minutes ago, Noman said:

Looks like I should have gone to the Ascended Lab first but it is too late now. I do not have a save.  Actually I forgot about that Lab. I see that I shouldn't have killed Alonzo but he left me no choice since I didn't have the feather. Wish I had known this. I hate missing things. Thanks anyway.

Did Alonzo by any chance (I doubt it, b/c it was a special item he gives to you per the quest line) drop a key? It might be the only way to enter the Barrens Bunker to the north, where 2 related quest lines end in spectacular fashion. I would hate to think you can't get in there at all b/c he's dead. Check your Special Items for a key (don't remember the exact name but it might be as simple as Barrens Bunker key), as well as the area you fought him (not likely to be there but...). If by some chance you can get in there now, you might not be prepared for the 3rd & last Ascended--assuming you can even get to her (there's a combat path, and a non-combat path). If you do get there, don't worry for now about the empty underground area. That will be the culmination of the Servant Mind's quest line, and one of the most memorable fights of the game later on, IMO.

I really hope you're not cut off from that area, as I too hate missing things.

6 minutes ago, BenS said:

Did Alonzo by any chance (I doubt it, b/c it was a special item he gives to you per the quest line) drop a key? It might be the only way to enter the Barrens Bunker to the north, where 2 related quest lines end in spectacular fashion. I would hate to think you can't get in there at all b/c he's dead. Check your Special Items for a key (don't remember the exact name but it might be as simple as Barrens Bunker key), as well as the area you fought him (not likely to be there but...). If by some chance you can get in there now, you might not be prepared for the 3rd & last Ascended--assuming you can even get to her (there's a combat path, and a non-combat path). If you do get there, don't worry for now about the empty underground area. That will be the culmination of the Servant Mind's quest line, and one of the most memorable fights of the game later on, IMO.

I really hope you're not cut off from that area, as I too hate missing things.

I  just checked my special items and yes there is a key called 'barren key' Alonzo must have dropped it when he died. Jeff doesn't miss a trick.

1 minute ago, Noman said:

I  just checked my special items and yes there is a key called 'barren key' Alonzo must have dropped it when he died. Jeff doesn't miss a trick.

That is great news. You'll have a broken quest line and miss out on some xp and backstory, but at the end of the day, as long as you can get in there. That key should open a lever/door combo at the north part of the lab w/ the Servant Mind. You might as well travel there to set foot just so you can fast travel there later, assuming the Barrens Research map is now, um, cleared. I pray that the Sholai merchant in the NW, Yu-La, is non-hostile, as she's also part of a fun quest line. And a good merchant, w/ some increasingly rare gear as time goes on. Alright, good luck.