Basic questions

I haven't played the original Geneforge games, partly because the times I tried them, I just simply didn't get what was going on, what to do, and how to do it.  I really want to give this new version a real try, so I'm working on the demo, but am finding lots of gameplay questions that are basic to the point of being embarrassing.. . . so forgive this very green noob.

How do I equip the rod things that throw thorns at foes?  I was able to equip the javelins, but not the rods.

Do I keep food only in my pack, not in the inventory list on the screen?  And how do I eat the food?  Do the created creatures need to eat?  How do they get food?

Is there a place for my main character to rest and recover health and essence?  When I went into the ruins looking for the brain guy, I saw a tip that said I could go back to the village to rest when I got weak and tired.  So I went back to the village, but nothing happened different in the character.  

I have loved all the Avernum and Avadon games and have played and replayed them multiple times.  I found the gameplay for them pretty intuitive, and am frustrated that I've struggled so with Geneforge.  If anyone has additional tips for me, I'd appreciate them too!  Thanks!!

So as long as you don't turn a village/town hostile just going there restores all your health energy and essence(as long as it's not used in a creation).

All useable item's in this game need to be drop in to the action bar including food. Your creations do not need food nor do you and are only usable on your self this game for some healing.

For the baton you should just need to drag and drop it if your running in to problem you may lack the missile skill to use it.

Batons, weapons, armor, and other equipped items need to be dragged from inventory onto the cut out doll on the left side of the inventory screen. If you already have that type of item it will swap and the old one goes to inventory. You won't be allowed to equip items that you don't have enough skill levels and there will be a message in the item description box telling what you need,

Food, pods, spores wands, and crystals are kept in your backpack and can be accessed by the quick use slots at the bottom of the main screen or from the abilties menu accessed from the keyboard command "a." Food isn't as useful in this game because it takes several hundred turns before you can eat again.

Hang in there - things will start to fall in place. One suggestion - if you have not done so already, check your settings and be sure you are on the easiest difficulty level, at least until you get the hang of things. There is no shame in playing a casual game, and you can change it back and forth any time without starting over. 

Food is worthless in this game. I don't even pick it up. Only certain towns will recharge your health and essence. Vakkiri is the first one you encounter. Ellrah's Keep is another. There are more, but that should get you started. 

Some more newby tips, in case you haven't discovered them yet: 

• Press the tab key and look around. Objects you can interact with are highlighted. A label will show on all nearby characters - friendly ones have a green label, neutral is blue and hostile is red.
  • Press the 't' key to bring up a text box with a log of certain interactions and the like. 
  • Right click on any character to learn a little about that character.
  • Don't pick up anything marked NY. It is Not Yours, and the locals don't take kindly to stealing. Later you will learn when and how you can get by with stealing, but for now, you don't want to tick off the only friendly town you can get to. 
  • Be sure to talk to everyone who is friendly. This is how you learn about what is going on, get quests to do, and experience the story.
  • It might help to go through the tutorial again, in case you missed something the first time. You can save the game where you are now, start a new game, and do the first two levels again. Then you can continue on from there, or reload the previous game from the save file.

I hope this helps. Once you get past the initial learning curve, you will probably love the game. Soon you will find yourself thinking more about the story, and less about the mechanics of how to play.

Last but not least, don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.

4 hours ago, Magenta said:

Be sure to talk to everyone who is friendly. This is how you learn about what is going on, get quests to do, and experience the story.

Slight adjustment to that good suggestion - talk to anyone that has an actual name.  Talking to wandering guards/farmers/etc will generally get you a conversation but nothing important (other than atmosphere) is provided & it's the same for all of them.  For the most part, in any of the assorted Spiderweb games, if someone has a distinct name you should talk to them at least once.

55 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

Slight adjustment to that good suggestion - talk to anyone that has an actual name.  Talking to wandering guards/farmers/etc will generally get you a conversation but nothing important (other than atmosphere) is provided & it's the same for all of them.  For the most part, in any of the assorted Spiderweb games, if someone has a distinct name you should talk to them at least once.

Good point. And another newby tip I thought of - 'a' (action) will open a dialog with list of actions you can take, such as using spells, wands, or crystals. 'g' (get) will open the inventory box so you can pick up or drop items. And 'f' will start or end combat. There are other keyboard shortcuts that I can never remember, but I use tab, g, a, and f a lot.