Jump to content

area won't turn green


Noman
 Share

Recommended Posts

The machines provide items. Look at the ground, items should drop there after you activate the machine.

 

The pylons can be disabled without combat. Talk to the brain. You may need leadership for that.

 

Either way, you don't need to do every area in the game if you don't want to. And you can kill the Sholai if you wish. No need to listen to them if you don't want to.

Edited by Iguana-on-a-stick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Iguana-on-a-stick said:

The machines provide items. Look at the ground, items should drop there after you activate the machine.

 

The pylons can be disabled without combat. Talk to the brain. You may need leadership for that.

 

Either way, you don't need to do every area in the game if you don't want to. And you can kill the Sholai if you wish. No need to listen to them if you don't want to.

Thank you. No the machine didn't drop anything. It just kept my crystals. By the time I found the brain most of the pylons had been destroyed. Killing the Sholai is easier said than done.  They are tougher than anybody in the game so far. I'm always reluctant to skip an area for fear that I might miss something important Also if an area is red you can't transport there on the map without going through red areas connected to it. So far I like this game better than any other SpiderWeb game I have played so I will keep on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Noman said:

I have done everything in the Eastern Mines and it won't turn green. Every pylon is dead and I can find nothing else to do. I'm sure that I have not missed anything. What to do?

Good lord, I wish I had known you were heading to the mines in the other thread about pylons you posted in! I would have told you something similar, which was, you did not need to destroy every pylon. Not even close. I don't know what class you're playing (or your level), but w/ a little experimentation and Essence Shield(s) and moving in combat mode, you can get through the Eastern Mines w/ only experiencing a handful (at most) of those pylons. The ones in the core are even easier to deal w/, as you can get to the Servant Mind and...let's see if I know how to do spoilers here...

have it shut down the Core's defenses. In addition, it can be talked into shutting down the pylons in 1 of the 3 other Mine areas, so you can go to each--one at a time, talking to the Mind ahead of time--and explore w/out those damn pylons ruining your day

.

 

As for the crystal dispensers, is there a chest nearby wherein your "prize" is deposited? I'm a little fuzzy on that, but each (there are 3 total) dispenser tells you (I think) how many rough crystals it needs for a transaction. They also deliver different items, so, common sense, do a quick save and see if you like what it gives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The machine said that there was a tray to hold 5 crystals so I put in what I had, whatever that was, but no message came up saying that I didn't have enough crystals. My only option then was to ask for the crystals back to which the machine said no. Nothing on the floor or in the nearby chest. I went back later with more crystals but there was no response from the machine.  Seems to be a dead end.

18 minutes ago, BenS said:

Good lord, I wish I had known you were heading to the mines in the other thread about pylons you posted in! I would have told you something similar, which was, you did not need to destroy every pylon. Not even close. I don't know what class you're playing (or your level), but w/ a little experimentation and Essence Shield(s) and moving in combat mode, you can get through the Eastern Mines w/ only experiencing a handful (at most) of those pylons. The ones in the core are even easier to deal w/, as you can get to the Servant Mind and...let's see if I know how to do spoilers here...

  Reveal hidden contents

have it shut down the Core's defenses. In addition, it can be talked into shutting down the pylons in 1 of the 3 other Mine areas, so you can go to each--one at a time, talking to the Mind ahead of time--and explore w/out those damn pylons ruining your day

.

 

As for the crystal dispensers, is there a chest nearby wherein your "prize" is deposited? I'm a little fuzzy on that, but each (there are 3 total) dispenser tells you (I think) how many rough crystals it needs for a transaction. They also deliver different items, so, common sense, do a quick save and see if you like what it gives.

Thanks for the tip. I'm in the core now so I'll try to run the gauntlet in combat mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

The machines drop the items producedt on the floor next to the machine.

Maybe it's slightly confusing that the switch and the machine are in different rooms? You have to pull the switch and then go back to the machine chamber (granted, about 10' away but still...).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Noman said:

The machine said that there was a tray to hold 5 crystals so I put in what I had, whatever that was, but no message came up saying that I didn't have enough crystals. My only option then was to ask for the crystals back to which the machine said no. Nothing on the floor or in the nearby chest. I went back later with more crystals but there was no response from the machine.  Seems to be a dead end.

Thanks for the tip. I'm in the core now so I'll try to run the gauntlet in combat mode.

I can't explain the dispenser problem. As for you running the gauntlet...keep in mind there's often a less, ah, action-oriented approach on a map. Which is to say, if you have decent Mechanics, you might not need to worry about too many pylons to begin w/. Though you'll have to figure out where to go...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

 

DId you turn off the nearby power source?  Because that would shut down the machine permanently

I just looked around and there is no power source in this area. Now the machine says that I have deposited the required crystals and it says that there is nothing else I can do. Yes, I see that the switch and the machine are in different rooms but the switch is dead. If there is a power source here I can't find it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Noman said:

There isn't. I'm looking at it right now. There is only the machine, switch, and a chest. I'm certain there never was a power spiral there. A bug?

I just went there. To be clear: Eastern Mines. The dispenser is at the north/central part of the map. There are 2 power spirals in the same small room w/ the machine, which takes 5 rough crystals at a go. You move slightly to the right, hit the switch...and you should end up w/ a Blast Crystal at your feet. If you don't "see" it on the map, just hit "g" for "get", and you'll see it. You can keep doing this. If the 2 power spirals in a span of 10 seconds don't produce a "hummm" type sound, then you might have powered them off by mistake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BenS said:

I just went there. To be clear: Eastern Mines. The dispenser is at the north/central part of the map. There are 2 power spirals in the same small room w/ the machine, which takes 5 rough crystals at a go. You move slightly to the right, hit the switch...and you should end up w/ a Blast Crystal at your feet. If you don't "see" it on the map, just hit "g" for "get", and you'll see it. You can keep doing this. If the 2 power spirals in a span of 10 seconds don't produce a "hummm" type sound, then you might have powered them off by mistake.

Interesting. There are two small unidentfiable piles of junk on the floor of that room. They were there when I first entered the room. Maybe they were supposed to be power spirals but they are only the same type of junk I've seen many times elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Noman said:

Interesting. There are two small unidentfiable piles of junk on the floor of that room. They were there when I first entered the room. Maybe they were supposed to be power spirals but they are only the same type of junk I've seen many times elsewhere.

If you can take a screen shot and post it here, I'd be very interested to see what shows up for you in that room. If I'm understanding you, you don't even see the power spirals at all (e.g., deactivated). As for the screen shot, I'm on a Mac and always forget how to do 1 in Steam, but you're likely on a PC so it's probably easier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BenS said:

If you can take a screen shot and post it here, I'd be very interested to see what shows up for you in that room. If I'm understanding you, you don't even see the power spirals at all (e.g., deactivated). As for the screen shot, I'm on a Mac and always forget how to do 1 in Steam, but you're likely on a PC so it's probably easier.

Yes, you understand me very well. There were never any spirals there either activated or deactivated.  I'll see if I can figure out how to post a screen shot here. I'm not very good at that kind of thing. I have the game on GOG not Steam. Thanks for your interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Noman said:

Sorry, I have no idea how to post a screen shot. However I think I described it pretty well. I didn't mention that the two piles of junk were somewhat blue like the spirals but I don't see how I could have turned them into that.

I think I figured it out. When you power them down, they actually explode for dmg, and then look like...blue piles of junk. You must have powered them down by mistake, unless your game has a super weird bug wherein they were destroyed before you even got there.

 

EDIT: FWIW, you didn't miss out on much from that particular dispenser. The other 2 are better, but require more rough crystals.

I believe the Northern Mines dispenser, for 20 crystals, gives you weaponry, like a Shaped Blade, while the Western Mines dispenser, for...fewer than that, can't remember exactly...gives you wands.

Edited by BenS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Iguana-on-a-stick said:

If you lack mechanics skill, a power spiral explodes. Otherwise it's just shut down. Those particular spirals require something like 14 mechanics, so you probably lacked the skill and broke the machine.

That makes sense. I wondered why they exploded when clicked on a 2nd time w/ high Mechanics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BenS said:

I think I figured it out. When you power them down, they actually explode for dmg, and then look like...blue piles of junk. You must have powered them down by mistake, unless your game has a super weird bug wherein they were destroyed before you even got there.

 

EDIT: FWIW, you didn't miss out on much from that particular dispenser. The other 2 are better, but require more rough crystals.

  Hide contents

I believe the Northern Mines dispenser, for 20 crystals, gives you weaponry, like a Shaped Blade, while the Western Mines dispenser, for...fewer than that, can't remember exactly...gives you wands.

 

Thanks loads. Really appreciate your help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BenS said:

That makes sense. I wondered why they exploded when clicked on a 2nd time w/ high Mechanics.

There's a different message on the first click if you will fail the mechanics check. Something like "it seems extremely complex". I only noticed after the first time I exploded my party, but it is worhwhile.

I also found that most pylons with such high mechanics did something beneficial and I did not WANT to turn them off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Iguana-on-a-stick said:

If you lack mechanics skill, a power spiral explodes. Otherwise it's just shut down. Those particular spirals require something like 14 mechanics, so you probably lacked the skill and broke the machine.

I have a mechanic of 4 and don't remember ever having a spiral explode. They either deactivated or nothing.  I just tried some spirals in the core mine area and they just deactivated or did nothing.  I think I would remember if the d*** things exploded on me.

Edited by Noman
correct a number
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Noman said:

I have a mechanic of 4 and don't remember ever having a spiral explode. They either deactivated or nothing.  I just tried some spirals in the core mine area and they just deactivated or did nothing.  I think I would remember if the d*** things exploded on me.

Mechanics 4?! You're braver than I am. I always get high Mechanics on my characters b/c the completist in me wants to open/bypass every locked X that the game throws at me. It also opens up parts of maps that would otherwise be dealt w/ through combat; this way I see most everything, and can maximize xp by doing both the combat and the non-combat areas (and Leadership is quite helpful too). Not trying to tell you how to play your game, just surprised you're rolling w/ low Mechanics.

 

Anyway, on topic, it looks like these particular power spirals have unfortunate results when a PC tries to shut them down, as they require quite high Mechanics to do it w/out them exploding. Probably a hint that we shouldn't be powering them down (unlike the power spirals that might be affecting something nasty in the nearby vicinity). But like I said, you didn't miss out on anything important, I don't think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BenS said:

Mechanics 4?! You're braver than I am. I always get high Mechanics on my characters b/c the completist in me wants to open/bypass every locked X that the game throws at me. It also opens up parts of maps that would otherwise be dealt w/ through combat; this way I see most everything, and can maximize xp by doing both the combat and the non-combat areas (and Leadership is quite helpful too). Not trying to tell you how to play your game, just surprised you're rolling w/ low Mechanics.

 

Anyway, on topic, it looks like these particular power spirals have unfortunate results when a PC tries to shut them down, as they require quite high Mechanics to do it w/out them exploding. Probably a hint that we shouldn't be powering them down (unlike the power spirals that might be affecting something nasty in the nearby vicinity). But like I said, you didn't miss out on anything important, I don't think.

Thanks.  But my low mechanic skill gives me more points to put in my shaper creations and make the battles easier. How do you survive otherwise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Noman said:

Thanks.  But my low mechanic skill gives me more points to put in my shaper creations and make the battles easier. How do you survive otherwise?


Depending on difficulty, it depends a lot on your class/skill spread.

As a shaper on normal i managed to clear nearly half the game areas relying on a large army and low shaping skills mostly pumping leadership/mechanics. You hit major Lead/Mech areas first for exp, i did do a bit of blessing magic because having those spells goes a long way. My first 3-4 levels was pure mech/leadership. You can earn a lot of extra exp with those stats.

Once i had the mech/lead goals i wanted i was pumping extra essence/creation skills.

4x Searing Artilla and 3x battle alphas are extremely effective in early game, you can grab alphas/betas early for free (no combat, no obstacles) if you hit about 8 leadership and reach pentil. Searing artilas are just lovely artilley with acid loving, and a poison bite.

Also, the tried and true method of throwing wave after wave after wave after wave after wave after wave after wave after wave after wave of disposable men is even better in this game than before, since creations dont need exp to get stronger. Shape an army, run into combat, let them duke it out while you run to the area exit. You can clear a lot of zones way early like this, your army *only* has to be strong enough to kill 1 single enemy (assuming its not one of the few areas where they respawn) and you can theoretically clear it over an excess of trials.

And personally, on normal, i found that having mildly poor (3-7 range) control over my creations wasnt a big deal. Their HP thresholds for status effects or going rogue usually meant the fight was either ending or they would outright die when they hit it. And with an army of 8 (counting myself here, i had firebolt and heals) one creature turning wasnt usually a big deal. Also i always had an Army of 8 once i had the essence to do so.

Edited by OmegaNecros
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, OmegaNecros said:


Depending on difficulty, it depends a lot on your class/skill spread.
 

@Noman: That about sums it up for me. I might have a tiny advantage in that I've been playing these SW games for about 20 years, and have a general feel for them. I've also played the original of this game (though that was a very long time ago). And I always start a GF game on Normal, w/ a Shaper. Take lots of notes for each map, including stuff I need to come back to. And like I said, I try to have both a good combat PC as well as someone w/ high Mechanics--and what's new to this remake, Leadership. You can get a lot of xp, especially early game when the foes aren't too bad, just from these 2 non-combat skills. I also get them moderately high quite early, and then focus on my class skills. My last game was a Shaper, and I did quite well specializing mainly in the Fire group, w/ late Magic (Ur-Glaahk for Dominate!) additions. Granted I was only on Normal, but I was solidly built (I think), and when I

indulged in the titular Geneforge

I became like rolling thunder. A Shaper is also a pretty decent mage as a backup. Sadly, my Guardian is a pitiful mage and it seems like weak in shaping, but pretty great in combat; along w/ high Leadership & Mechanics. This game on Veteran. (There will be no Torment for me.)

 

And as you can see from OmegaNecros' post, there is no single strategy to win the game. I just think you might want to consider getting some easy xp from those 2 overlooked skills in your repertoire. You can always (usually) chip away at a map and retreat to a friendly town to restore yourself, and then head back, if the pure combat route is giving you grief. But I think you should experience all the game has, and I suspect as of now, you're not getting to some fun things; whether we're talking gear or canisters. Also, opening locked things is great xp in many instances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...