Need Help With Basic Combat Tactics!

Coach

So I admit I'm kinda new to this version, but I keep dying. A lot. My Level 10 Shaper has three cryoa and a roamer, and I'm still getting clobbered. Could someone please walk me through basic battle tactics against a group of opponents so I can stop repeating the same fights over and over? What should I do first? Which formation? Should I speed up the Shaper first or just hit shield and blessing? Thanks for any overall help you can give.

Usually when you first spot foes start buffing and if you are fast enough you can do all three before combat starts. War blessing will help the most to deal damage, then speed for the chance of extra hits

The most important thing is what bonus abilities you gave your creations. All of them should have the 5 extra levels so they hit better, do more damage, and have more health. Give them all area attacks and hardiness. Cryoas getting Frost Aura can do damage to nearby foes even when they don't attack,

You didn't mention difficulty level ,but after combat starts spread out your party so you can do overlapping area effect attacks and you are less likely to have all of your party hit at once.

Curing effects and healing are very important, of course.

But in general, mind magic tends to be extremely powerful. A humble daze spell can take out half a group of enemies. (luck willing.) A single charm/dominate effect can turn a battle around completely. Chances are the charmed enemy is closer to his friends than you are, so they will all start attacking the poor schmuck. Much more cost effective then trying to heal your creations.

Thanks, folks. Game's a lot more fun now. I made the adjustments to buff way earlier and make sure my creations were maxed out on extra levels (they were missing a few, my oversight). I'm trying to keep in mind to spread them out to reduce AOE damage. Daze is acceptable if I want to focus on one opponent at once, don't have charm yet, will work on it.

10 hours ago, Iguana-on-a-stick said:

Curing effects and healing are very important, of course.

But in general, mind magic tends to be extremely powerful. A humble daze spell can take out half a group of enemies. (luck willing.) A single charm/dominate effect can turn a battle around completely. Chances are the charmed enemy is closer to his friends than you are, so they will all start attacking the poor schmuck. Much more cost effective then trying to heal your creations.

I found that in the early game at least, daze can take out nearly all enemies. Except the #$@# Vlish. With my level 6 Shaper and with occasional use of the discipline wand to use daze with fewer points so I could also heal, I managed to kill the rogues outside of Pentil's gate with relative ease. 

Also: 3 Cryoras and a roamer at level 10? What level are the creations? If your creations are more than 2-3 levels below the enemy, they will be missing a lot. I would suggest (someone else also said that) to boost their levels. 

Are you a fellow Fire-Shaping-focus Shaper? I found out that at least for me, the creations are better in ranged attacks.

8 hours ago, alhoon said:

I found that in the early game at least, daze can take out nearly all enemies. Except the #$@# Vlish. With my level 6 Shaper and with occasional use of the discipline wand to use daze with fewer points so I could also heal, I managed to kill the rogues outside of Pentil's gate with relative ease. 

Yeah, chances of success are really high. 80% unless they have resistance, I think I read in one of the mechanics posts?

Difficulty is rather in getting all enemies in the AoE. In practice, you can count on catching half the enemies at least. In some fights nearly all, but there are a good few where enemies approach from multiple sides or are too spread out.